PDA

View Full Version : Can't get to SATA partition

gred
02-24-2008, 10:08 PM
I am a new user of knoppix looking for a recovery tool from windows xp hard drive crash. My system had 2 IDE drives and 2 SATA drives in RAID 1 configuration. The IDE drive that failed has been removed. Knoppix boots and I can access the floppy, a usb external drive (sdc1), the working ide drive (hda1), and the first partition of the RAID SATA's (pdc_bcaeidi1). The SATA DVD drive shows as (sr0). there is an icon for (hdb), but tells me "could not mount drive".

Can anyone help me get to the point I can access the second partition of the SATA's to save my data before potentially destructive recovery efforts?? - thanks - gred

Harry Kuhman
02-24-2008, 10:14 PM
I am a new user of knoppix looking for a recovery tool from windows xp hard drive crash. My system had 2 IDE drives and 2 SATA drives in RAID 1 configuration. The IDE drive that failed has been removed. Knoppix boots and I can access the floppy, a usb external drive (sdc1), the working ide drive (hda1), and the first partition of the RAID SATA's (pdc_bcaeidi1). The SATA DVD drive shows as (sr0). there is an icon for (hdb), but tells me "could not mount drive".

Can anyone help me get to the point I can access the second partition of the SATA's to save my data before potentially destructive recovery efforts?? - thanks - gred
You're not going to like this, but you're screwed. That RAID system is almost certainly a software based RAID system that depends on special drivers running on the computer. Those drivers likely exist for windows only, and your RAID system can't be accessed without them (although you seem to be able to access the first drive, likely any large file you find there will be badly fragmented). There are RAID software solutions available for Linux also, but they don't read Windows RAID systems.