PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix hangs on boot up

Tinsby
02-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi,

I made a Knoppix v5.1 CD to try on my Windows XP Pro machine. I have the same problem now that I had years ago when I tried Knoppix. IE: it starts to find all the stuff on the machine but it get to a point where it says " Looking for CD in : /dev /hdc " And that's as far as it goes. I tried to run the debug mode but that only gave me the same error.

I apologize that I don't know how to send any logs or anything else Knoppix might make to help someone diagnose my trouble. Oddly enough the same CD that makes my machine hang up works fine on my other machine that uses XP Home edition.

Any thoughts on what I can do to make it run on MY machine? I have seen similar messages using SEARCH on the forum but no definitive answers as to what the erro code means or how to fix it.

Thanks in advance,

Tinsby

nalini
02-29-2008, 05:51 AM
Ether the drive is not getting detected or speed problem try knoppix nodma at boot prompt and post the result

Tinsby
03-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Ether the drive is not getting detected or speed problem try knoppix nodma at boot prompt and post the result

I tried what you suggested and the result is the same as my original posting. Knoppix just sits there and says " Looking for CD in : /dev /hdc "

Sorry I don't know what else to do with it.

thank you,

Tinsby

ckamin
03-17-2008, 03:28 AM
I would just make sure that the disk was burned at a slow speed. Sometimes a disk burned at a higher speed will work in one system and not in another. The same thing goes for Music CD's, etc. Try a 4X burn and see what happens.

schrimax
03-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi Tinsby,

Did you find a solution for your problem yet?
I tried installing Knoppix as well, and got the same message, except that I run it from DVD and the message is:
"Looking for DVD in : /dev /hdc"

After a minute or so another message says:
"Can't find Knoppix filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to busybox shell.
/static/ash; can't access tty
job control turned off"

Regards,
Schrimax

spaceinvader001
04-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Find another machine and run knoppix test cd from the boot prompt if all checks out good then check your drives and see if they are Sata IDE or whatever if they are Sata you amy need to wait for a newer version or you could try the Original Debian Live cd not as Much stuff as knoppix but simular... you only need the debian live CD if you have SATA Rom Drives for some reson knoppox doesnt seenm to be supporting them yet.

Laber
04-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Tinsby,
your computer is working well.
I have the same problem with 2 different Knoppix DVD's.
Ver. 5.3.0, which was added to the german computer mgazine c't and Ver. 5.3.1 which I made from a downloaded iso-image. In the computer magazine forum I found the following solution:
When the knoppix boot screen appears, type: knoppix hdc=cdrom hdc=noprobe
After that Knoppix will start :mrgreen:
Regards Laber

schrimax
04-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Hi Laber,

Thanks for your advice. It works for me now!

Now I will try to figure out Knoppix. It has a lot of possibilities, so it seems.

Regards,
Schrimax

gulliver69
08-28-2008, 03:29 PM
[...] When the knoppix boot screen appears, type: knoppix hdc=cdrom hdc=noprobe
After that Knoppix will start :mrgreen:
[...]

This workaround don't works with SCSI boot devices :cry:

mmmmm_PIE
09-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Having a variation on the same problem. When the boot reach the step:
Accessing knoppix CD at /dev/hda... (yah; hda, not hdc)
I get an error message:
ismod: can't read '/cdrom/koppix/modules/cloop.ko': I/O error
After which I'm told that the knoppix file system cannot be read (sorry!) and I drop to a minimal shell.

Help? Thanks in advance.

gb789us
11-25-2008, 04:12 AM
Having a variation on the same problem. When the boot reach the step:
Accessing knoppix CD at /dev/hda... (yah; hda, not hdc)
I get an error message:
After which I'm told that the knoppix file system cannot be read (sorry!) and I drop to a minimal shell.

Help? Thanks in advance.

I get the same thing. I just burned a dvd for v. 5.3.1 and it trys to load hda and goes to /dev/hdc with the long I/O error. Any ideas?