PDA

View Full Version : apt-get dist-upgrade?

smittybomb
05-31-2003, 07:15 PM
should I use the option: apt-get dist-upgrade? Will it mess with Knoppix? Is there a way to upgrade Knoppix distro without downloading the ISO, formating the currnet, and installing fresh?

Cheers! :) :lol:

Stephen
05-31-2003, 08:08 PM
should I use the option: apt-get dist-upgrade? Will it mess with Knoppix? Is there a way to upgrade Knoppix distro without downloading the ISO, formating the currnet, and installing fresh?

The best way to find out what apt will do is apt-get -s dist-upgrade to simulate the action if you like what apt is going to do then remove the -s and proceed with the action. The apt-get (http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html) how-to highly recommended reading before messing about with apt.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the dist-upgrade anyway?

Dave_Bechtel
05-31-2003, 09:39 PM
--I would *NOT* recommend dist-upgrade with knoppix. Klaus has already included testing/unstable elements; doing a dist-upgrade will put you into no-man's-land and likely break the system.

--Performing dist-upgrade is OK if you start by installing regular Debian *stable* (woody), because then you get the unstable/testing - but Knoppix is already there.

--You can feel free to try it, but I wouldn't do it on anything but a disposable test-box that's been fully backed up and has nothing critical on it.