PDA

View Full Version : Please Help:Install problem - Uncompressing Linux, CRC Error

brittonl
05-31-2003, 07:19 PM
Wondered if you someone might be able to help.

I am completely new to Linux and after failing miserably to install Mandrake 9.1 and Redhat I decided to try what I thought would be the more straightforward route of Knoppix. However my laptop (Hi-Grade Notino AS6000 laptop 6GB, PII/300, 144MB) gives me a very similar message in all three cases.

from the boot: prompt in Knoppix I have used “failsafe” to which I get the following messages…

Loading vmlinuz…
Loading miniroot.gz…..
Ready
Uncompressing Linux…

crc error

System halted

The last three lines are identical in each of the three Linux builds.

I have experimented with some of the hardware related install switches but all to no avail.

brittonl
05-31-2003, 08:00 PM
Looks like the problem was that my Plextor burner can't write a CD properly. Just tried a CD that came with a Linux manual book and it worked fine.

throckwostle
06-12-2005, 06:43 AM
i had the same thing happen to me as i was making a rescue disk for RH6. the floppy i used contained a date activated virus that infected my hard drive, and wouldnt allow me to partition my hard drive at all. i tried both fdisk and disk druid. then i thought about it and tried resetting my cmos. worked a treat, install went ahead then with no probs.

good luck