PDA

View Full Version : CF Card Reader Problem, 802.11b WEP keys, etc

DukeLeto
06-01-2003, 02:08 AM
On a few of the machines I have tried ClusterKNOPPIX on v3.2 05-20-03...
I've noticed a few of the following issues, and was wondering if I could get some help to resolve them.

Issue #1:
I attempted to create a home directory and save my configuration file to a compact flash card in a PCMCIA card reader. Works all fine and dandy, until I reboot and try to load the config and home dir off of the cf card. The cardmgr has not yet mounted the card and it hangs when it looks for /mnt/hde1 to find those files. Any ideas? Would I have to remaster the cd to fix this initilization order?

Issue #2:
On a computer I tried KNOPPIX on, it boots up, runs through, until the point where it begins to load the window enviroment. It gets to the step "Initializing Peripherals" before it hangs completely. Configuration of computer as follows, though I can rule some things out -

Duron 1.3ghz - CPU was just replaced, brand new.
512mb RAM - Tried other ram, tested my ram, not bad.
DVD-ROM - Same DVD-ROM in another machine that boots fine.
Sony 48x CD-RW
Nvidia on-board video chipset
Intel 802.11a PCI card - Not the problem as another computer I have boots fine with the same card in it.
40gb Hard drive
Windows XP on one partition.

Let me know if any further specs are required on this machine and exactly what you'd need to help me track it down.

Issue #3:
On a computer I have, the sound card is detected, but the driver is not installed, need the model number I assume, that'll have to wait until monday.

Issue #4:
How to specify a WEP key automatically, or in two different network zones(one with key, one without) for my built in 802.11b card in my Toshiba 2405-S201? If WEP is disabled in the router, the WIFI works flawlessly.

Issue #5:
Can not seem to get WINE to work no matter what I do, it crashes unless the program I'm running is a completely DOS based program. I have tried repeatedly to save the WINE configuration file to my CF card only to find I'm unable to write to my CF card, though I finally figured out how to allow read/write permissions to it.

Issue #6:
On the computer that boots and finds the sound but the driver is not installed, KNOPPIX boots into german, right away, however it doesn't do that on any of my other machines.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks bunches for all the penguins lovers out there, and for such a wonderful tool.

Mike

An issue I forgot:
On my laptop, the screen resolution defaults to 640x480.
I can't figure out how to adjust it without rebooting and it just reboots back into 640x480, ideas?

garyng
06-01-2003, 05:53 AM
Issue #1:
I attempted to create a home directory and save my configuration file to a compact flash card in a PCMCIA card reader. Works all fine and dandy, until I reboot and try to load the config and home dir off of the cf card. The cardmgr has not yet mounted the card and it hangs when it looks for /mnt/hde1 to find those files. Any ideas? Would I have to remaster the cd to fix this initilization order?

Issue #2:
On a computer I tried KNOPPIX on, it boots up, runs through, until the point where it begins to load the window enviroment. It gets to the step "Initializing Peripherals" before it hangs completely.

Issue #3:
On a computer I have, the sound card is detected, but the driver is not installed, need the model number I assume, that'll have to wait until monday.

Issue #4:
How to specify a WEP key automatically, or in two different network zones(one with key, one without) for my built in 802.11b card in my Toshiba 2405-S201? If WEP is disabled in the router, the WIFI works flawlessly.

Issue #5:
Can not seem to get WINE to work no matter what I do, it crashes unless the program I'm running is a completely DOS based program. I have tried repeatedly to save the WINE configuration file to my CF card only to find I'm unable to write to my CF card, though I finally figured out how to allow read/write permissions to it.

Issue #6:
On the computer that boots and finds the sound but the driver is not installed, KNOPPIX boots into german, right away, however it doesn't do that on any of my other machines.

Mike

Issue 1 and 4 : you need some form of remastering though you may run away from touching that big 700M file. What I do is make my modification(/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig in issue 1, /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts and /etc/pcmcia/network.opts in issue 4) and save them into my modified initrd and change the linuxrc file to COPY them over the ramdisk version created by knoppix. In this way, you only need to change the boot.img

Issue 2: does this computer has some form of network connection ? If yes, can you see if you can disable it and see if the problem goes away ?

Can help about others.

DukeLeto
06-01-2003, 05:38 PM
Since I've no idea how to remaster this cd, is it possible you could give me a step by step walk through?

The computer that locks up on "Initializing Peripherals" does not have any network connections. It does have an onboard ethernet controller, and and 802.11a PCI card, however, another machine has this same ethernet controller onboard(not same mb however) and the same PCI 802.11a card. No network connections are actually active at the time that it's booting, no network cable is plugged in, and it doesn't detect the 802.11a(another issue I'd like to figure out how to fix).

Other ideas?

DukeLeto
06-02-2003, 07:00 PM
I've discovered what kept my other machine from booting past the "Initializing Peripherals" icon. I had my cell phone (a Motorola v60i) plugged up to the USB port on the machine, and apparently this causes the entire machine to hang at that point. Unplugging the phone allows the computer to boot past that point.

This solves one problem.