PDA

View Full Version : Using Knoppix to install Windows on PXE enabled laptop

iannou
03-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Hi,

First post. This question could go in at least 3 different forums, so I chose "General".

Background - I just picked up a Fujitsu Lifebook B2562 with no OS installed. I have the original Win 2000 restore CD, but can't boot from the CD (requires specific Fujitsu CD drive with non-standard connector). My only boot options are floppy, HD or PXE (PreBoot eXecution Environment for the benefit of those like myself). My searching in Knoppix Hacks and online show lots of info on running Knoppix via PXE, but there are no Linux drivers for the touchscreen, so I need to go with Win XP or 2000. I use Mepis and Mandriva on other boxes and if there was a linux solution, I would certainly go for it.

I don't have a Windows server - nothing better than XP Home, so I am hoping that there is some combo of Knoppix terminal server and/or Samba, DHCP, TFTP. I have only a vague understanding of networking in general and less about PXE. I have Knoppix 5.1 DVD plus an external CD drive in which to put the restore CD

So, if someone can tell me whether this is even possible or point me to a Howto or suggest other means of accomplishing this, I'd appreciate it.

TIA
Ian in Nova Scotia

ckamin
03-10-2008, 06:27 AM
I would think that using a live disk like the Bart PE disk working in a Windows environment would allow for a more convenient install process. You can set up the PE disk with many different options and software to assist in the process. Google "bart pe" for more info and tutorials. You would have to make the disk, but it's quite worth the effort for a Windows environment. Linux is acceptable and there is probably a way to do what you are looking to do. I just never had a reason to use Knoppix to install ANYTHING for/in Windows. The PE disk will allow you to format drives in NTFS and repair a Windows installation as well. I would hesitate to use Knoppix or ANY Linux Distro to write to, or create an NTFS partition. NTFS is a proprietary file system for Micro$oft and they don't share or play well with others. I've seen too many horror stories where people have lost data as a result of using Linux to write to an NTFS partition.

iannou
03-11-2008, 04:52 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at some Bart PE info. It's pretty obvious that none of the solutions are trivial. I was R'ing FM's, and forums for several hours today. First of all, I've committed to hitting the library and getting some background on networking. Secondly, I've dusted off a PIII desktop that's been occupying closet space for a few years now. I'm going to turn it into a dual boot server, probably Debian and Server2003 and get some hands on experience (re-invent token ring, maybe).

That's a medium term project. The short term solution, which I found on a Ubuntu forum, is that someone HAS created an application for touchscreens under Linux. It's called Joytouch and the author is Simon Funk. There are details on doing Ubuntu PXE installs and I think that's the way I'm going to go.

I'll report back on the my results. And I will definitely give it a whirl using Knoppix ;)

Thanks
Ian

vukoxx
03-11-2008, 04:56 PM
hi, you can try unattended, this projekt lets you pxe-boot an linux-system purposed to install windows on any computer connected to lan. it works just like "knoppix-pxe-server" in /tftpboot you need unattended-kernel and initrd, i386-directorys of your orig. Windows Install CDs. em, i made win 2ksp2 2ksp4 and xp installation availeable, don't know if it supports vista... and you should add unattended-kernel to your configfile /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/Default

but... have a look at their howtos:
http://unattended.sourceforge.net/step-by-step.php
http://unattended.sourceforge.net/advanced.php#netboot

ok it IS a bit more tricky than just getting pxe-boot to work... but the only way i know to perform windows-lan-installation

better you install this to your local server, instead of knoppix
and try pxegrub instead of pxelinux