PDA

View Full Version : PXE Boot fails while loading Vmlinuz

Masiaka
03-09-2008, 07:35 PM
I've chose all the default settings when loading up the the openmosix terminal server and my etherboot works good. I get a message shortly after loading, something kinda like:

loading vmlinuz.........
Boot failed. Insert another disc and press return to continue.

I've read this could be a multitude of problems, one of them being that this kernel may not support the drivers my machine needs to load. There could also be a lot of directory problems too, which I don't really understand. Is this the same kernel that comes with Knoppix? I can run Knoppix just great it if I pop the live cd in but it really doesn't want to finish loading vmlinuz. Is this a bug? Where should I go from here?

vukoxx
03-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Which knoppix version did you take?

Older versions worked fine, while the latest knoppix 5.3 ends in Kernel Panik when trying to mount root fs :(
Booting in verbose mode shows that the kernel has tried to mount root as raiser, ext, fat, iso,... filesystem. But to get pxe-boot working afaik another kernel is needed. It should be one with ip-kernellevel-autoconfiguration, root-over-nfs and some other spezial kernel-features activated. One can take a brief look on /tftpboot/vmlinuz and /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24, same filessize... Seems like someone made a mistake when packaging knoppix 5.3 dvd :lol:

well, to get it working, i think we have to compile our own nfs-root-capable kernel, at least until 5.3.1, (or use older version)

Masiaka
03-12-2008, 06:35 AM
After consulting my professor, we are both in strong agreement that ClusterKnoppix verson 3.6 has some serious inconsistencies that make a lot of stuff not work.

We've traced the IPSec problem down to the fact that theres a .conf file that points to where IPSec should be and where its tools are, yet they are placed in an entirely different folder, specifically the /KNOPPIX folder.

It stands to reason that this kernel issue could very well be. Indeed if you try to boot a Chaos node from this version of the distro from PXE, it will flat out tell you it cannot find the kernel. Again, the .conf file written for pxelinux points do the /diskless directory for it to find the kernel, but it appears to reside somewhere else completely. I'm not a linux pro or else I would have moved the files accordingly.

If anyone else can get their hands on clusterKnoppix 3.6 and take a look at it to verify this for me, I would be greatful. Even though clusterKnoppix is pretty much a dead project, I may be able to find someone interested in at least fixing it. In the future, though, I'll most likely roll my own and add openmosix to it.