PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.9 File Transfer to Flash Drive - Stalling

tomsmithbloke
03-13-2008, 03:11 AM
I am trying to recover my data to a USB flash drive stick. The following keeps occurring:
1. The progress bar doesn't indicate real progress, ie; it says 18 files out of 19 files transferred, for example, and marks the completion rate at 63%
2. When transferring folders containing files, the USB stick appears to copy the entirety of what is moved onto it, but this doesn't show up when it is inserted into my laptop.
3. Knoppix has corrupted the USB drive once, I reformatted and restored from DOS
4. I have (seemingly!) moved my image files off the disk and onto my stick, but (!) when I move 92Mb of images, for example, the USB registers all the files but at a total of 6.9 Mb space occupied when plugged into the laptop, and, furthermore, when I open the images, they are partially unfocused, infused with other photos, and mostly incomplete (20% of the photo visible).
5. The file transfer runs its course for some time and moves to 'stalling' mode, although it doesn't hang.

As seriously as I possibly can, I am earnestly asking for help. Before I learnt of this Linux-based OS earlier this afternoon, I was looking at spending another night in a series of sleepless ones that has lasted as long as I can remember - working like a maniac to restore my windows system32 config system corruption (its missing, can't be restored...how nice!)

Please help me...I feel maddened to have come so far after no success for so long, only to be hampered at this stage!

Harry Kuhman
03-13-2008, 04:21 AM
2. When transferring folders containing files, the USB stick appears to copy the entirety of what is moved onto it, but this doesn't show up when it is inserted into my laptop.
3. Knoppix has corrupted the USB drive once, ...
Do you know that it's extremely important in Linux to either unmount the USB drive before unplugging it, or shut down the Linux system (which will unmount the drive in the process)? It sounds like you are not doing this. Of course, it's important in Windows also (remember that little "Safely unmount removable drive" thing in your tray?). But it sounds to me like you may be skipping this.

tomsmithbloke
03-13-2008, 10:38 AM
I am not that completely mentally challenged... Yes, I do know. I have done this and discovered that my pictures are in the corrupted format I described when viewed on my laptop.

Harry Kuhman
03-13-2008, 10:53 AM
I am not that completely mentally challenged... Yes, I do know.....
OK, it wasn't clear from your first post. This should be working, assuming that your flash drive is formatted with one of the FAT formats, not NTFS, and that it doesn't have some sort of "windows only" security feature.

I don't know what the problem is. But my suggestion would be to recover the data that is important to you and worry about ths flash drive issue later. Have you considered networking the Knoppix system and your other computer and just transfering the files across the network? There are several ways to do this, but for me the easiest way is to install a simple FTP server on the other computer and then use Konquror in Knoppix as the FTP client to do the transfer.

Good luck.