PDA

View Full Version : Could Not Write to...

jim2000
03-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi Everybody
I use Knoppix on a daily basis and seemed to have encountered an issue that has me scratching my head. While I was recovering data from a failed hard drive, I was able to write to a USB flash drive. I'm not sure what happened because I was juggling several issues at the time, but then I couldn't write to the USB with the "could not write to..." message.
I tried 4 other USB drives and nothing. I tried another laptop and same thing. Tried Knoppix 5.0 and 3.8, but same thing.
As far as I can remember, I unmounted the USB drive before pulling out.
I was able to transfer the data over the network, but I cannot write to any of these 5 USB drives thru Knoppix. Windows is no problem with the same drives.

Thanks
Jim

stallion
03-20-2008, 12:42 PM
I have a simular issue. I am trying to recover files from an HDD with NTFS. I am trying to copy data to an external HDD and USB flash drive (both formatted in fat32). I get an error /could not write to /media/ etc…..
I am a first time KNOPPIX user.
Help would be appreciated. (Open to be referred to any tutorials available on the web)
KNOPPIX vers 5.1

jim2000
03-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi Stallion
I never could get it to work, but have not tried re-formatting the USB drive yet. If you have a network, start the Samba service within Knoppix under Services and then go to Samba Neighborhood in Utilities to browse to a computer.

jim2000
03-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Sorry for the double post.
I re-formatted the USB drive, but still no good.
I've used Knoppix in data recovery plenty of times using USB's and never had a problem. ...strange.