PDA

View Full Version : SCREENSAVER: if you miss yours...

xetaprime
06-01-2003, 05:01 AM
Okay, I haven't a clue about a lot-O-things linux, so take this with simply good intentions...I really have missed all the great screensavers included with other distros...so if you want them back this is what I did...and it's working great.

First I installed "xscreensaver". Went in fine, no dependency problems. But that didn't really configure until I also installed "kscreensaver". Once installed and without doing anything else, I had tons-O-savers again. I love Science sphere!

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/kde/kscreensaver.html

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/xscreensaver.html

letting kpackage do its thang.

Hope this helps get them back for you as well.

xeta

probono
06-15-2003, 06:49 PM
I wanted to install the KDE screensavers on my recent Knoppix HD install:

apt-get install kscreensaver
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
kscreensaver: Depends: kdelibs3 (>= 4:2.2.2-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages
It's always the same. I get this damn kdelibs3 (>= 4:2.2.2-1) error all the time no matter what KDE app I want to install (in fact, that is *the* annoyance number 1 in Knoppix). Please help!

Stephen
06-15-2003, 06:58 PM
It's always the same. I get this damn kdelibs3 (>= 4:2.2.2-1) error all the time no matter what KDE app I want to install (in fact, that is *the* annoyance number 1 in Knoppix). Please help!

Try apt-get install kscreensaver/unstable.

aay
06-15-2003, 10:18 PM
Or

apt-get -t unstable kscreensaver

One of the two worked for me anyway.

HalfWalker
06-18-2003, 03:48 PM
If you're running stable or testing, how do you tell apt how to get packages from unstable ? Running

apt-get install kscreensaver/unstable

results in a

E: Release 'unstable' for 'kscreensaver' was not found

error message. If I add a deb line to sources.list file to include the unstable tree as well, apt-get install wants to upgrade *lots* of packages.

TIA -

D.

probono
06-18-2003, 07:59 PM
Has anyone ever successfully installed a KDE screensaver on Knoppix with apt-get? (without changing the whole system or messing around with it)

HalfWalker
06-18-2003, 10:03 PM
If you're running stable or testing, how do you tell apt how to get packages from unstable ? Running

If I add a deb line to sources.list file to include the unstable tree as well, apt-get install wants to upgrade *lots* of packages.

Got it. Create a /etc/apt/apt.conf with the following in it :

APT::Default-Release "unstable";

Works like a champ. Thanks to google and http://www.wlug.org.nz/FlavoursOfDebian

D.

CardinalSinn
06-29-2003, 12:18 AM
I started using Knoppix shortly after 3.2 was released. I have successfully installed kscreensaver and kdeartwork on two machines, 1 desktop and 1 laptop.
Because I am a newbee to debian I tend to have a touch of death so I have had to re-instal my desktop at least twice since. I have had the same problem as you, at first I thought I had done something wrong in the install. I have been told the sudden change in dependencies is due to new packages being compiled in a newer gcc. donno how true that is but the same person said the problem will be corrected in time.
The solution.1. apt-get xscreensaver| xscreensaver-nognome
2.Disable any screensaver functions in the control center.
3. in terminal type xscreensaver and set up your screensaver options.
4. create a shell script make it executable with only one line in it "xscreensaver" and save it to ~/home/{user}/.kde/autostart. this will start xscreensaver each time the user logs in
You will have to do step 4 for each user you have an account for.
now you have your screensaver.. btw the xmatrix is better then the kscreensaver one ..as with most the available screensavers in x.. enjoy..

PS.. I can't believe I once liked redhat..arrgh!!!!javascript:emoticon(':twisted:')

xetaprime
08-29-2003, 11:58 PM
:( Up until recently I have been able to install kscreensaver with very little depends problems. Now I too ket the kdelibs3 and conflict this and what happened...sure seems like something changed along the way. And I really really like my "science"!!!

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Guess I'll keep trying,

xeta

blahblahblah
09-01-2003, 04:47 AM
this worked for me

apt-get -t unstable install kscreensaver

spaceinvader001
11-26-2003, 04:36 PM
been tryin to download the xscreensaver and the kscreensaver packages and I keeps gitin the dern time out page anyone got a quick fix ?
I did this last install and it worked great now its dead... :roll:

preater
11-26-2003, 06:42 PM
4. create a shell script make it executable with only one line in it "xscreensaver" and save it to ~/home/{user}/.kde/autostart.
A symlink is neater and leeter! :D

$ cd ~/.kde/Autostart/
$ ln -s `which xscreensaver` xscreensaver
Oh, and my favourite is BSOD. Or glmatrix on a fast box, yum!

Cheers,

Andrew