PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to have multiple X session on one machine

garyng
06-01-2003, 05:58 AM
Hi,

In XP, it is now possible to login as one user and sort of 'switch' to another user with the previous desktop(and any running program) continue to be there(and running). Is this possible in X ? Sort of the same as the text based login console in linux but instead of Cltr-Altr-F1 switch to my previous login of text console, switch back to my previous launched X session.

eadz
06-01-2003, 11:31 AM
In KDE 3.1 is is. You have to enable an option in the KDE/KDM config
Hmm it was in Ralf Nolden's README, but now thats gone.

garyng
06-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Yes. I have enabled KDM and use it as the login manager. However, if I want to switch to another user, I have to logoff which would stop all running applications. KDE can restore the desktop in the next login but still it is a relaunch. What I want is like XP which is to continue the current desktop(throw it into background) and present me another foreground X session.

edit: found the solution on google. one must not be lazy :(

thanks for the help.

eadz
06-01-2003, 11:45 AM
Yes. I have enabled KDM and use it as the login manager. However, if I want to switch to another user, I have to logoff which would stop all running applications. KDE can restore the desktop in the next login but still it is a relaunch. What I want is like XP which is to continue the current desktop(throw it into background) and present me another foreground X session.

Yes. As I said, KDE 3.1 can do it, and from memory you have to edit the KDM config file. However the instructions have since gone from Ralf Nolden's site and I don't know where else they are. You could try asking some KDE people, say on #debian-kde on irc.openprojects.net.

rec9140
06-01-2003, 01:54 PM

edit: found the solution on google. one must not be lazy :(

thanks for the help.

Please post your findings for this solution.

Thank you in advance.

RockMumbles
06-01-2003, 03:20 PM
You don't have to log out if you use kdm, gdm, or xdm, you can start a second X session from a console (ctrl-alt-f1).

go to a new console, make sure you have a ~/.xinitrc file with a line that starts the de or wm you wish to use, here is one of mine, I edit it to start the de or wm I want:

startkde
#startxfce
#exec icewm
#exec fluxbox

Then run: startx -- :1*******(startx space dash dash space colon one)

Then ctrl-alt-f7 is your first X session and ctrl-alt-f8 is your second.

If kdm, gdm or xdm is not configured to allow multiple logins, if you log out of your X session started by kdm, etc. you will be logged out of both X sessions.

HTH

rock