PDA

View Full Version : Installing knoppix on hard drive.

RicktheBrick
03-30-2008, 08:16 PM
I got this somewhat new motherboard(2.7GHz celeron). It was from a Dell computer. I used it to make a computer. I booted with knoppix(cd) and to my suprise everything worked fine so I decided to install it on my hard drive. After booting with it on my hd it would not let my go on the internet. When I tried to start the synaptic program manager it comes back with a su error. I used the sudo knoppix-installer to install it on my hard drive. Ubuntu will not even boot and windows xp requires drivers for the motherboard(no network, usb, sound, or decent video) and I do not know the model number of the computer the motherboard was taken out of and besides I would prefer to do this legally as I have already installed the windows xp on another computer. This is not the first computer that Ubuntu would not boot and knoppix would so maybe someone should give Ubuntu a hand or some software.

Harry Kuhman
03-30-2008, 09:32 PM
... After booting with it on my hd it would not let my go on the internet. When I tried to start the synaptic ....
Yup, the Internet connection issue has been there for 5 years It's just one of the reasons that many of us advise new users not to install Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Install_Warning_not_to_do_it). Looks like this has finally been resolved in the newest Knoppix, in that they reportedly removed the permanently broken install scripts and now treat it as what it is, a Live CD, not an installable system.

I don't use or care about Ubuntu. But if Knoppix works and you like Knoppix, why not try installing Debian, the Linux that Knoppix is based on and that is intended for hard disk install? I really don't understand why people keep fighting with problem prone broken Knoppix installs but don't even try a recent Debian install (I suggest trying a Net-install of the current Debian testing version (stable is too old and best reserved for servers).