PDA

View Full Version : Not enough memory to start KDE! (At least 82MB required)

Scythe
06-01-2003, 12:34 PM
I downloaded the image for Knoppix 3.1 the other day, unawares to the existance of 3.2. Downloading 3.2 is too much of a pain to be viable.

When I boot up with knoppix, I enter "knoppix" in the boot prompt. Knoppix loads without errors then displays a GUI message in the top left: "Couldn't start kdeinit. Check your installation."

Then:

"Not enough memory to start kde! (At least 82MB required) Using TVM windowmanager instead. Caution: Not all programs in the left-button-menu will work here!"

I'm running a AMD 2200+ with 512 meg of ram.

I think my CD might be corrupt, so I start knoppix with the command "knoppix testcd". It detects no errors. I then try starting with the command "knoppix ram=512M". This has no effect.

Any help would be good.

--Scythe--

Stephen
06-01-2003, 05:55 PM
knoppix ram=512M". This has no effect.

Any help would be good.

--Scythe--
mem=512M

Scythe
06-02-2003, 02:39 AM
Yeah, that's what I typed. That was a typo, sorry.

--Scythe--

EDIT: Is it possible to patch 3.1 to 3.2 somehow? By copying all the files from the CD to my HD, replacing a few files, then reburning?

Stephen
06-02-2003, 04:00 AM
Yeah, that's what I typed. That was a typo, sorry.

--Scythe--

EDIT: Is it possible to patch 3.1 to 3.2 somehow? By copying all the files from the CD to my HD, replacing a few files, then reburning?

Yes it is see the remastering how-to (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto). Have you tired to boot with just failsafe and the boot: prompt that is if you have not got it to boot to graphic login yet.

Scythe
06-03-2003, 12:25 PM
It boots far enough to give me a pretty knoppix 3.1 background and lets me access a few of the left-click-menu programs, that's all.

My only partition is NTFS and I don't think your remastering thingo will work with that. And as far as I can tell, remastering involves downloading an entirely new image. Which is out of the question on my 56k.

--Scythe--

Stephen
06-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Try this boot with knoppix 2 to boot to text mode and then /etc/init.d/xsession start to start the xsession. Also you may want to open a console in the limited shell boot you get now and top to see what memory the system sees after these errors if it reports the correct amount there is a bug in the startup scripts somewhere or it just doesn't like your hardware.

Have you tried any hardware trouble shooting eg. changed the ram with other modules maybe different video card things like that if you have the spare componets laying around. If the ram is more than one module take the system back to just one ram module and boot with that and maybe switch the modules around, certainly can't hurt to give it a try.

If you wanted to try to re-master you already have an image to start with it's on the CD you have you would simply have to create and .iso image from the CD and use that as a base to start with.

Scythe
06-05-2003, 12:20 PM
I tried those commands to no avail. The xsession still starts up with the insufficiant memory error.

My only partition is NTFS and I've read that knoppix can't write to that so this remastering thing won't work unless I'm mistaken. I'm not about to partition off a bit of my HD and format it for FAT either. Any more suggestions?

--Scythe--

Stephen
06-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Other than trying memtest to test the memory or switching around (or out) the ram I'm pretty much out of ideas. The only other thing you may be able to do is check and see if there is a BIOS update available for the MB and even that may not work.

Your right about the NTFS don't try to write to that it will screw up your system.

reub2000
06-05-2003, 11:50 PM
And as far as I can tell, remastering involves downloading an entirely new image. Which is out of the question on my 56k.

Um, nope, you can do it with the regular cd, there is no "remastering image". Then apt-get the newer programs.

Scythe
06-06-2003, 07:28 AM
This still isn't working. Oh well, thanks for all the help guys. I guess I'll just have to track down 3.2. Knowing my luck 3.3'll be out by the time I find it. :x

--Scythe--

Smitty_
05-07-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm having this same exact problem with 3.8.1

Never had it with 3.7

Running testcd now....