PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Install New NIC Driver

dbuell
04-30-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm a very new Linux user and this may be a very basic question, but I would appreciate some guidance.

The computer on which I am using Knoppix v. 5.1 has an Intel 82566DM, which is an updated version of the PRO 1000. When Knoppix loads it recognizes the NIC but apparently cannot use it. I get no network access. I suspect the driver set on the CD does not support this new NIC. I've downloaded a new Linux driver, e1000e-0.2.9.5. How do I install it to Knoppix? :?:

kaspare
05-08-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm a very new Linux user and this may be a very basic question, but I would appreciate some guidance.

The computer on which I am using Knoppix v. 5.1 has an Intel 82566DM, which is an updated version of the PRO 1000. When Knoppix loads it recognizes the NIC but apparently cannot use it. I get no network access. I suspect the driver set on the CD does not support this new NIC. I've downloaded a new Linux driver, e1000e-0.2.9.5. How do I install it to Knoppix? :?:

You have to compile it.... a bit complicate.
My knoppix has the e1000e.ko and e1000.ko that should manage your nic (...maybe not the jumboframes..) try to modprobe e1000 and have a look at "dmesg" and "ifconfig -a" output.

Max