PDA

View Full Version : Losing my USB keyboard

xeerex
06-01-2003, 09:50 PM
This one particular pc is the only one I've had any "problems" concerning Knoppix.

At the boot screen my USB powered compaq keyboard is recognized fine. However, once booted into the desktop, it is not recognized. Any suggestions for a linux/knoppix newbie?

As a side note, this same keyboard is recognized fine under Windows (ack) and is recognized fine on another pc under Knoppix.

Dave_Bechtel
06-02-2003, 09:47 AM
--Don't do that, then. ;-)

--Seriously, if it's losing the USB keyboard I would recommend plugging in a standard Ps/2 kbd. (shrug) It's easier than trying to debug the problem.

This one particular pc is the only one I've had any "problems" concerning Knoppix.

At the boot screen my USB powered compaq keyboard is recognized fine. However, once booted into the desktop, it is not recognized. Any suggestions for a linux/knoppix newbie?

As a side note, this same keyboard is recognized fine under Windows (ack) and is recognized fine on another pc under Knoppix.

xeerex
06-02-2003, 04:16 PM
heheh---i had already used a PS2 keyboard 8)

Its just odd that it loses the USB one when going to the gui but doesn't lose it on a different PC running the exact same keyboard and CD. No biggie----just one of those little aggravations like those I'm used to from a certain big $$ company that purports to make an OS. :wink:

Dave_Bechtel
06-02-2003, 09:01 PM
--Hmm... Did you have the USB plugged in the entire time? Sounds like it could be fixed by editing XFree86config-4 file.

heheh---i had already used a PS2 keyboard 8)

Its just odd that it loses the USB one when going to the gui but doesn't lose it on a different PC running the exact same keyboard and CD. No biggie----just one of those little aggravations like those I'm used to from a certain big $$ company that purports to make an OS. :wink:

xeerex
06-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Yep---the keyboard was plugged in the entire time. I double-checked the connection and rebooted just to make sure. Again, it works fine at the boot prompt so its kinda puzzling.

xeerex
07-08-2003, 03:26 AM
Anyone have any further ideas on this? It does the same darn thing with the newest download of Knoppix.

And please don't give me the "use a ps/2 keyboard" or I shall think you are related to Mr. Gates. :x

burke3gd
07-08-2003, 07:40 AM
Anyone have any further ideas on this? It does the same darn thing with the newest download of Knoppix.

Have you tried forcing the usb? There should be an option for this in the knoppix boot-help (F2). This worked for me when I was having problems with an usb mouse.