PDA

View Full Version : Using Knoppix: Scan Windows NTFS for Viruses using Antivir.

Condor
05-28-2008, 02:43 AM
I found an alternative to using clamscan from knoppix, it requires an internet connection in this tutorial. For downloading Antivir.

1. With knoppix as your boot cd or dvd, Boot from CD/DVD.

2. At knoppix splash screen hit

boot:<ENTER>

3. Open a terminal window.

4. Get root/admin rights.

sudo su<ENTER>

4a. Change directories.

cd /temp<ENTER>
(I ommitted the above step, seems to work also)

5. Download Antivir.

wget http://dl1.avgate.net/down/unix/packages/antivir-workstation-pers.tar.gz<ENTER>

6. Extract the downloaded tar file.

tar xvpzf antivir-workstation-pers.tar.gz<ENTER>

7. Change directory.

cd antivir-workstation-(whatever version # it is)
To find this just scroll up to the downloaded process, version number should be visible. Tack this inplace of the parenthesis comment.

8. Install.

./install<ENTER>
The period before the slash is important.

9. Update Antivir.

antivir --update<ENTER>

10. Identify ntfs device.

cat /etc/fstab<ENTER>
Look for ntfs. You should see something like," /dev/hda1 /media/hda1" in the same line. My ntfs was sda1.

11. Mount ntfs drive.

ntfs-3g /dev/(your device) /media/(your device)<ENTER>
If it works, your hard drive light will blink, showing you that you can access it.
If not you may have to right clik the hard drive on the desktop an uncheck read only under properties. (I think.)

12. Choose scanning method.

antivir -lang=EN -rfmalware.txt -r1 --allfiles --alltypes --scan-in-mbox -s -z -onefs -ren /media/(your device)/<ENTER>
The -ren will rename what it finds without deleting it, replacing the original extention with .xxx.
The -rf will write a log to the file specified, in this case malware.txt. You can e-mail it to yourself before rebooting.
When you boot back into windows just search for .xxx and submit to Virus Total or Jotti.

13. When done, unmount ntfs.

umount /media/(your device)<ENTER>

14. Reboot

This concludes the Scanning for Viruses with Knoppix on Windows NTFS Volumes using Antivir.
The original information can be found at the following address:
http://www.castlecops.com/postx185079-0-0.html post #9

If anyone has a method for any other anti-virus vendors, please document each action, as above, and post.
Sophos supports linux, Panda supports linux.
Please include if it does or does not use rename option.

I hope this helps,
Condor