PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Geforce 8500GT

sasij
05-31-2008, 06:56 AM
I went to run knoppix 5.3.1 and noticed it recognized my card. But for some reason or another it still seems to be running in software mode. I went to play chromium and tux racer and I was getting around 5fps. I tried opening a movie and not only was it lagging but there were all kinds of colors on the movie kind of like a green overlay with certain parts going different colors. I am pretty sure I am defaulting to some non accelerated driver. My question is how would I find out if thats the case and how would I go about getting Ogl acceleration. I noticed nvidia has linux driver on their site but I could only find a .run package and couldn't figure out how to use it or if its compatible with knoppix. I tried to sign up to their forum with my yahoo email and apparently they have banned all yahoo emails so I cant get any help there. Sorry for the beginner troubles I'm simply trying to learn this beast that is linux.

sasij
05-31-2008, 08:12 AM
Well I seem to have gotten it to work with much trial and error. Just had to boot with no window system and execute the .run file. From then on it was pretty much automated. I saved my knoppix image/configs when i booted to xwindows (or whatever its called), rebooted, then loaded the config on bootup and the acceleration is still there so yay.