PDA

View Full Version : Problem booting live cd

Linux Man
05-31-2008, 10:57 PM
I am having trouble booting from the live cd. The computer I am trying to boot it on has windows xp installed. I have already changed the boot sequence to boot from the cd-rom first but it still boots windows. It works fine when I boot it on my other computer which has 98se installed. Am I doing something wrong? If so, WHAT?!?!?

Harry Kuhman
05-31-2008, 11:11 PM
... It works fine when I boot it on my other computer which has 98se installed. Am I doing something wrong? ...
Knoppix couldn't care less what OS you have installed, so that is not the issue. You didn't give us much else to go on. We don't know anything about the computers, their configurations, or much of anything else, including what version of Knoppix you are talking about. Since we have absolutely no clues, I'll take a wild guess and say that you are trying to boot a DVD in a computer that only has a CD drive (but that's just a theoryâ„¢). Alternately, you may have made the disc by a high speed burn, which is well known to cause problems reading on some drives but work fine (or at least seem to work) on others. You are going to have to tell us more if you want better answers.

sasij
05-31-2008, 11:17 PM
Doubt this will help much as it sounds like your not even getting to the knoppix boot screen. But on my pc after the boot screen it would simply go black and do nothing, to aid that I had to use the cheat code -noapic. Just figured I'd throw it out there.

Linux Man
06-01-2008, 12:07 AM
It is Windows XP Home Edition sp3, Dell Dimension 3000, Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 512 MB of Ram, 2.99 GHz. I burned it with Imgburn at write speed MAX. And I don't even get to the knoppix 5.1.1 boot screen, it just goes to the windows xp boot screen.

Harry Kuhman
06-01-2008, 12:20 AM
... I burned it with Imgburn at write speed MAX. ....
I suggest that you try burning another disc at 4x speed. And if you have any doubts about the merit of this advice, I suggest that you should use a rewriteable media rather than write-once media (that way you will not waste anything if this isn't the issue, and CDRW media (if we are talking about a CD) has a different reflectivity than write-once media and so the drive's gain is changed, which may also help problem reading). I don't have any experience with Imgburn, but if it has an option to verify after writing I suggest that you enable this and let it do a verify pass (or if you have Nero, use that, burn at 4x, and enable the verify option). You say your disc worked on a different system so the md5 checksum is most likely correct, but I don't want to skip over the value of doing a simple md5 checksum on the ISO before doing a burn (we see a lot of bad ISO downloads from the mirrors, although not from BitTorrent downloads). All of this is covered in the downloading FAQ.

OP
06-02-2008, 09:09 AM
CD/DVD drives are picky with the media. I've got a CD drive and DVD drive installed on the same PC. Burnt a Knoppix and SystemRescueCD CD by the CD drive, InfraRecorder at 8x speed. The SystemRescueCD boots
fine on both drives, but the DVD drive doesn't accept Knoppix CD at all!

Linux Man
06-02-2008, 12:25 PM
I tried to burn it at speed 4x but it still does not come up to the boot screen.

Edit: Okay got it to work, had to put it in the dvd drive. But when I boot it up it everything is bigger than if I boot it up in the 98. The icons and taskbar are bigger.