PDA

View Full Version : IM client on linux ?

garyng
06-02-2003, 02:20 AM
To continue my quest for a minimalist distribution, I am now moving on my next area, IM client. Is gaim the answer ? I tried to browse on its web site but there is a question that I can't find an answer. Can it support audio/video(through webcam) when talking to the other side like MSN messenger/yahoo/icq/aim ?

aay
06-02-2003, 02:48 AM
To continue my quest for a minimalist distribution, I am now moving on my next area, IM client. Is gaim the answer ? I tried to browse on its web site but there is a question that I can't find an answer. Can it support audio/video(through webcam) when talking to the other side like MSN messenger/yahoo/icq/aim ?

I don't believe so. Sounds like you are looking for Gnomemeeting (http://www.gnomemeeting.org). With Gnomemeeting you can also communicate with people using Netmeeting on Windows. I did see the other day on the PSI website that they are trying to get audio support working for PSI, but I don't believe they are there yet.

garyng
06-02-2003, 02:57 AM
Thanks. I have looked at gnomemeeting too. The problem is, can it seemlessly integrated into the IM client ? gnomemeeting may be every bit as good as other window based solution but if the other side is using MSN Messenger(or any other IM client) and want to initial an audio/video conversation, boom a show stopper for the linux side.

May be wine is the solution but that is some wonderland.

cascadefx
06-02-2003, 10:09 PM
Thanks. I have looked at gnomemeeting too. The problem is, can it seemlessly integrated into the IM client ? gnomemeeting may be every bit as good as other window based solution but if the other side is using MSN Messenger(or any other IM client) and want to initial an audio/video conversation, boom a show stopper for the linux side.

May be wine is the solution but that is some wonderland.

I believe that it is interoperable with other clients that support the H.323 protocol (all those that support video and realtime audio should fit the bill). You can check out more here: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/.