PDA

View Full Version : OS not found: external HD install problems

luken
06-08-2008, 12:38 PM
So I have an older laptop with a burnt out dvd-rom and a new hd. I bought an enclosure and decided to put a knoppix on it to get started. I got another laptop, downloaded the latest dvd distro and got started.

I launched knoppix-installer and went through all the settings just fine. It found the hd just fine. I have a 6G ext2 partition and 1G swap at the beginning of the drive, the rest is unallocated. Tried the installing grub to the MBR (through the setup) and keep getting the same error. I ran cfdisk and noticed that it didnt have a boot flag. When I tried adding it I got a message saying that I couldnt.

I searched the forums as best I could and didn't find anything similar. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this MBR working? I tried debian and knoppix install options, same thing.

TopFarmer
06-09-2008, 01:45 PM
and keep getting the same error. What is the error ? always post any and all error messages.

it didnt have a boot flag If you have Grub installed into the MBR, a boot flag is not needed.

I bought an enclosure and decided to put a knoppix on it to get started Is the enclosure for the hdd or dvd drive ?

luken
06-09-2008, 03:16 PM
The error was 'cannot make partition bootable' in cfdisk when I pressed b to give it the boot flag.

The enclosure if for the disk. Im on my wifes laptop now, my laptop dvd-rom is burnt out. Im running knoppix from her laptop and trying to isntall on the enclosed disk, then returning the disk to my laptop.

TopFarmer
06-10-2008, 02:33 AM
Tried the installing grub to the MBR (through the setup) and keep getting the same error. What is this error ?

Knoppix is not the best linux to install on a hdd.

Check the BIOS setup and be sure that Virus protection (the name could be different) is turned off. If it is on the BIOS will not permit writting to the hdd's MBR.