PDA

View Full Version : problems with iso cd burner

austinelwood
06-10-2008, 09:09 PM
I am having a problem with burning the iso file to a cd. I have already downloaded the file and iso burning program but when i try to burn the cd it comes up with a message saying that the file is a cd image and that 'it is not supported in the current release'

has anyone else had the same problem?
can anyone help?

Harry Kuhman
06-10-2008, 09:31 PM
... and iso burning program but when i try to burn the cd ......
You don't mention the burning software, but it's pretty obviously wrong, at least if you downloaded a Knoppix ISO from an official site and haven't mucked anything up. I suggest that you read all of the FAQ referenced in answer #1 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman), and that if you don't already have a suitable burner that you try a free trial of NERO, which will properly burn a good file. beyond that we need better information on what you have and what is going wrong.

austinelwood
06-18-2008, 07:00 PM
software developed by alex feinman and found by using linux.org recommended download. the md5sum may be mucked up so i'm checking that now

austinelwood
06-18-2008, 07:03 PM
md5 checsum is not working saying that the file contains two ascii generated sums. i assume that this is some sort of fault so am downloading a different version. however having downloaded nero trial the file will no longer fit on my disc. i have a 700mb rw disc and assumed that that would be enough. version i am working with is knoppix v5.3.1dvd 2008-03-26-en downloaded with bittorrent

any help would be great thanks.

Harry Kuhman
06-18-2008, 07:29 PM
md5 checsum is not working saying that the file contains two ascii generated sums. i assume that this is some sort of fault so am downloading a different version. however having downloaded nero trial the file will no longer fit on my disc. i have a 700mb rw disc and assumed that that would be enough. version i am working with is knoppix v5.3.1dvd 2008-03-26-en downloaded with bittorrent

any help would be great thanks.
I have no idea what is going on with your md5 checksum, under windows I use md5summer (as mentioned in the downloading faq) and it has always worked great for me. I'm not sure if you were saying taht you were going to download another md5 program or another copy of the ISO, I sure hope you we saying that you we going to get another md5 program.

knoppix v5.3.1dvd 2008-03-26-en is a DVD image, it will not fit on a 700 meg CDR or CDRW. It also will not fit on a FAT partition. There is not official 5.3.1 CD image, although the older 5.1.1.CD image is still available.

austinelwood
06-18-2008, 07:48 PM
and there we have hit the root of the problem. am now trying with a dvd disk instead of a cd disk. md5 checks the sum alright after the warning message so im going to load it and see what happens.
thanks for the help