PDA

View Full Version : install Knoppix

asc333
06-24-2008, 01:51 PM
I do not understand why it's so wrong to install Knoppix

Yes it's a live CD but it are so good that it deserves to be installed.

Does it err a lot by being installed?

Harry Kuhman
06-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Please see answer #2 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

asc333
06-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Are there others knoppix, are built on knoppix, with kde ?

You aren't very talking :)

Harry Kuhman
06-25-2008, 12:00 AM
You aren't very talking :)Everything that I have to say on the subject was covered in the FAQ that I referred you too. There is plenty of other discussion of the problems that people who do try to install Knoppix run into in this forum, so you could read as much about the issue as you like. I have grown weary of preaching against this bad idea to people who don't want to actually hear the answer and who don't give any logical reason for why they don't just install Debian and whichever packages they want, which leads to a very stable system.

Are there others knoppix, are built on knoppix, with kde ?There are other Live CDs and perhaps Live DVDs that are based on Knoppix, often an old version of Knoppix. There are many other Live CDs that are not based on Knoppix, or that were in previous versions but no longer are. Many have KDE. While some of these may not have the well known mixed versions problem that Knoppix has that make it unsuitable for a hard disk install, I can't imagine any reason to install any of them rather than simply install Debian, the distro that Knoppix is based on, and then install the packages that you want. If you like Knoppix and want a hard disk install similar to it, I strongly advise you to install the Debain testing release. Why would you not want to do this? You aren't very talking!

Lucien
07-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Hello,

Looking around in the knoppix forums , I would like to tell why I did put the knoppix 5.3.1 dvd onto my hard disk.

Let me start to tell you that I don't have windows from microsoft onto my PC. I do have Ubuntu installed on this new PC and are very satisfied with it.

However using "synaptic" I do not want to install too many programs for testing out different applications, everybody knows that there are a lot of them. Often you have to try, to find the one you prefer most. I regularly discover useful programs and I do not want to add and delete them on my Ubuntu system. Which is also a Debian based one.

Well here I use KnoppƮx dvd which has a lot of programs installed on it. I do not install extra programs on the 5.3.1 Knoppix.

To test many multimedia programs I do need my cdrom-dvd. Also to test burning programs etc. so I did install Knoppix onto a hard disk. Grub is my friend to tell it, if I like to start Ubuntu or Knoppix.

Let me add that I installed a persistent home directory for knoppix. This to prevent that configuration files and bookmarks and so on, are lost on a reboot.

On this knoppix dvd are so many programs installed that I can live with this until a new version will be available . I will install it :roll: and find, I hope a lot of new possibilities to try out.

In the mean time I do have my Ubuntu system the way I want it, to continue work.
Eliminating the risk to screw up the Ubuntu system with new untested programs. Before downloading something new with "Synaptic" I use it under knoppix.

I use the Knoppix dvd because it has so many applications installed and at least, this applications have been tested together on this Debian distribution. :P

Lucien.

Lucien
08-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Hello,

I would like to add that, to put knoppix onto HD, I simply used the tohd=.... cheat code parameter.
Because I didn't intend to add anything to the DVD contents.

Anybody from the Flemish part of Belgium, if you afterwards load this knoppix with the fromhd=.... parameter, to prevent that Belarusian is used if you specify lang=be , do specify lang=somethig else. Otherwise the browser iceweasel for example will surprise you with this beautifull Belarusian characters. :shock:

For the users who would like to see "youtube videos", with this iceweasel browser included in the distribution, you have to add libflashplayer.so to the directory /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/ . How to do this can be found at the site http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/cant-play-youtube-videos-608978/

Have Fun

Lucien
08-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Hello,

As I explained before, I installed 5.3.1 more as a playground to see and experiment with a lot of programs.

However the "Create a persistent KNOPPIX disk image" which I called before "persistent home" is much more than a home directory on hard disk.

I do find myself much more using the knoppix instead of the ubuntu boot system. I didn't realize before but knoppix present an ideal backup system.

The knoppix.img created by selecting the persistent disk image, was originally set by me to 170MB. I created a new one of several GB. From time to time I do make a copy : sudo cp /media/sda2/knoppix.img /media/sda3/backup.img

Experimenting with adding things now , changes this image, and if I get a problem I rename my backup.img to knoppix.img , rename the first knoppix.img and because I have in my Ubuntu, /boot/grub/menu.lst for the kernel parameter of the knoppix title the option home=scan , I am back to my previous setup.

The original knoppix system on the hard disk remains unchanged; a copy of the live dvd ,and the partition it went to with the tohd= parameter is even protected, I mean read only.

This means that taking a backup of my system is quickly done , it depends on how big you make the knoppix.img file. Do not forget that this file has to be on another partition than the tohd= partition.

This UNIONFS file system used by knoppix is a beauty.

Because I do have Ubuntu and Knoppix on my system, and able to change anything in one system using the other I feel at home with my PC.

Its a lot of fun to experiment on a system with available and installed programs, without fear.

Lucien.
:D :P :wink:

Lucien
08-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Hello,

Here I am again ,still very happy with my "dual boot" system. Ubuntu 8.04 and Knoppix 5.3.1 .

Up to now I didn't need to use the backup knoppix.img possibility, although I am putting more and more onto this knoppix.img .

I used Kaffeine for example to put a lot of music from cd to my hard disk (knoppix.img) and I studied the Qt possibilities . In the "ontwikkeling" (probably called development in english) part of the Kmenue, the Qt3 assistant and Qt3 designer intriged me.

I followed the tutorials, created as a result a lot of Qt files on a knoppix subdirectory and its all working without any problem.

I didn' made any update for the programs installed on knoppix 5.3.1. So when I studied java the java 1.5 was required on the course and java "kaffe-1.4.2" is installed on this knoppix. I used my Ubuntu on which I installed the latest openjdk's from synaptic and followed there the java courses.

I will probably later, try to update some programs available on knoppix, but I have still a lot to investigate on the current distribution 5.3.1 . So only if everything keeps working without any problem I will try the update possibilities.

I think that only having Linux on my computer and partitions ext2 and ext3 , no ntfs or other file systems, a lot of problems I do see mentioned on forums, are eliminated.

I will ,from time to time update this information, certainly any problem with knoppix on hard disk.

Lucien.

Lucien
11-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Let me clarify the HD install I did because I think many problems are due to mixing options.

Start by reading the first paragraph of the site

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo

Some Background information about a Knoppix HD install.

In there is said to consider the "Live_CD_Tips". If you select this Tips you go to the site

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Live_CD_Tips

I did install my knoppix 5.3.1 by using the 1.2 the 2.2 and the 3.2 headings.

* 1 Free up the CD Drive
o 1.1 toram cheat code
o 1.2 tohd cheat code
o 1.3 bootfrom cheat code
* 2 Installing Programs
o 2.1 Klik
o 2.2 Unionfs
* 3 Saving Configurations, Data and System changes
o 3.1 Save Knoppix Configuration
o 3.2 Persistent Disk Image

This type of HD install is not the full install as given in the first wiki site. But it gives me a very flexible system for my needs as a dual boot with ubuntu.

Up to now I didn't made any updates to programs distributed on the 5.3.1 dvd ; everything I added to the system has been reflected very well by UNIONFS . The KNOPPIX.IMG, created by the Persistent Disk Image, is working as good as if the writing was done into the original linux directories.

Lucien.