PDA

View Full Version : Remotely "Re-ghost" Linux box using Knoppix?

yltv
06-27-2008, 10:38 PM
I've recently encountered a problem with one of the Ubuntu servers that I administer. I "chowned -hR /" to my username, which basically killed my install. The server is located about 100 miles away from me. I want to create an iso image of another remote (working) server I have and load this image onto my dead machine remotely. I will have someone pop in a Knoppix CD at the site.

1) Is this possible?
2) If so how?

I was thinking that if Knoppix supported SSH, then I could remote in and somehow use sftp to grab the iso file from the other server and blast it onto the hard drive of the dead server.

However, I'm clueless, and probably reaching here...

Thanks in advance.

Steve

kaspare
06-30-2008, 03:40 PM
I've recently encountered a problem with one of the Ubuntu servers that I administer. I "chowned -hR /" to my username, which basically killed my install. The server is located about 100 miles away from me. I want to create an iso image of another remote (working) server I have and load this image onto my dead machine remotely. I will have someone pop in a Knoppix CD at the site.

1) Is this possible?
2) If so how?

I was thinking that if Knoppix supported SSH, then I could remote in and somehow use sftp to grab the iso file from the other server and blast it onto the hard drive of the dead server.

However, I'm clueless, and probably reaching here...

Thanks in advance.

Steve

You can just do a "per file" compressed copy with afio (cpio, tar, star...) in the remote server, grab it and decompress trought ssh in the damaged server.
You can even mount the remote server disk with sshfs in your pc.
Another way is partimage: http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page
It should have an option to copy only the allocated space and make a compressed image.

Cheers

Max