PDA

View Full Version : Unstable?

jimihendrix
07-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Hi, I am new to linux and was suggested Knoppix, but when i try to download it this message pops up

Since you are about to download KNOPPIX free of charge (and without support), please accept the following agreement.
THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL SOFTWARE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. KNOPPER.NET CAN NOT BE HELD LIABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR DAMAGE TO HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE, LOST DATA, OR OTHER DIRECT OR INDIRECT DAMAGE RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE. IN SOME COUNTRIES THE CRYPTOGRAPHIC SOFTWARE AND OTHER COMPONENTS ON THE CD ARE GOVERNED BY EXPORT REGULATIONS OR SOFTWARE PATENTS, WHICH MAY FORBID DISTRIBUTION OR DOWNLOAD. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL APPLICABLE LAWS. IF YOU PLAN TO COMMERCIALLY USE OR DISTRIBUTE (AND SELL) THE SOFTWARE, YOU HAVE TO ACQUIRE THE NECESSARY LICENSES AND PERMISSIONS FROM ALL SOFTWARE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OF NON-FREE SOFTWARE COMPONENTS, OR REMOVE THESE COMPONENTS BEFORE DISTRIBUTING THE SOFTWARE.

This message worries me and I want to know if its safe to install or if I could find a safer version to install with

Thanks

Harry Kuhman
07-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Knoppix is not intended to be installed. It's a Live CD or DVD, intended to be run directly from the disc.

I've been using it for over 4 years. I sure would never install it. Some people think it can be done (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masochist), but if you want an installed system that is Knoppix-like, I suggest Debian, which will be much more stable. Don't be shocked if you get some disclaimer from the Debian group, I doubt they want sued because the software isn't exactly what you want or you have some problem with it or you just don't read the instructions. Have the ever read the really nasty agreement that you have to click through to use Microsoft's OS?