PDA

View Full Version : Booting problem

mr_deb
07-03-2008, 03:04 PM
I recently came to know that we can boot knoppix from hard diskl by bootfrom command.I have copied my iso to my E drive which is also a NTFS partition.
But while booting ifd i type bootfrom=/dev/hdc5/ .Its giving eror no iso found.

May be the drive name (hda5) I have given is wrong.Is there any way to check what are the available drive while booting from cd .

I want a command so that i can see my drives while booting.

hal8000
07-14-2008, 07:58 PM
I recently came to know that we can boot knoppix from hard diskl by bootfrom command.I have copied my iso to my E drive which is also a NTFS partition.
But while booting ifd i type bootfrom=/dev/hdc5/ .Its giving eror no iso found.

May be the drive name (hda5) I have given is wrong.Is there any way to check what are the available drive while booting from cd .

I want a command so that i can see my drives while booting.

"Drive E" is meaningless in a linux forum. Its not even clear in windows as partitions can be assigned any drive letter.
hda5 is meaningfull, it is the first extended partition on your first hard drive (master) connected to ide0

hdc is a hard drive connector to your second ide connector as master. The option "bootfrom" requires that you have an iso image at this partition.

If you are certain you have an hda5 partition with sufficient space for the DVD then from the live knoppix DVd type
dd if=/dev/dvd of=/dev/hda5

replace dvd with cdrom if youre using the cdrom. This command will take a long time to complete, so be warned.

this command copies the entire contents of the DVD to the partition on hda5, then if you use option
bootfrom=/dev/hda5 this will work for you.