PDA

View Full Version : trouble on booting

joinf
06-02-2003, 06:50 AM
i had a major problem about booting from my cd rom. i dont know exactly what happened but i tryed to boot from the cd and it just didnt work. i tryed to reboot windows 2000 and my system didnt start back up. the start up screen came up but other than that nothing. i downloaded the latest version of knoppix 3.2 and installed on a cd per the instructions. i have a optiplex gx 110. and help you or anyone can give me will be appreciated. by the way i am very new to linux so keep this in mind with your feedback. joinf

rickenbacherus
06-02-2003, 10:17 PM
i had a major problem about booting from my cd rom. i dont know exactly what happened but i tryed to boot from the cd and it just didnt work. i tryed to reboot windows 2000 and my system didnt start back up. the start up screen came up but other than that nothing.

What exactly is "the startup screen?" Do you mean the splash screen from your BIOS or the win2k start screen?

At any rate- Dell Optiplex is a very odd machine as I understand it. Try unplugging the cord from the machine, wait a moment or two then plug iot back in and see if it boots. Apparently they have a bit of a buggy BIOS.

cascadefx
06-02-2003, 10:25 PM
i had a major problem about booting from my cd rom. i dont know exactly what happened but i tryed to boot from the cd and it just didnt work. i tryed to reboot windows 2000 and my system didnt start back up. the start up screen came up but other than that nothing. i downloaded the latest version of knoppix 3.2 and installed on a cd per the instructions. i have a optiplex gx 110. and help you or anyone can give me will be appreciated. by the way i am very new to linux so keep this in mind with your feedback. joinf

My bet is that your refresh was set wrong for your monitor though knoppix and now it is interfering with Windows being able to boot up.

Boot knoppix again and at the boot: prompt, type:

knoppix xvrefresh=60

Knoppix should boot fine. If you get any "improper scan" error messages, hit the RETURN key and and choose 0, 80x25 scan lines.

After Knoppix boots... shut it down and retry booting into Windows. If it still doesn't work, shut the computer down and leave the monitor on. Use your monitor's manual to see how to reset the monitor's configuration to the factory defaults. Turn on your computer and you shouldn't have a problem now.

I hope this helps. Let us know one way or the other.