PDA

View Full Version : Before to Install

angel
07-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Hi Dear
Sorry my english no good

I just turn down the DVD of Knoppix 5.3 and desire facilities for 3 questions before I have to be clarified if I can.
1 -. Deb debian working in knoppix without problem (I asked for in the ubuntu not all. Deb debian operating in ubuntu)

2 - as to upgrade, Knoppix 5.3 when you leave the next vercion either 5.4 or 6.0 can upgrade without problem, On the other distros that happens when the upgrade does occur some problems or changes to the system except Debian.

3 - perhaps the most stupid question but I do get off as already mentioned the DVD knoppix 5.3 am at the Boot DVD everything works ecepto not upload to the internet, so when you install the hard drive and can climb into the Internet, do the comments by live distro I've fallen and can enter the Internet.

PS: I make these comments for the reason that I wore Libranet distro and discontinued in 2006 :cry: and I am looking for a distro that is as easy to use but debian (Ubuntu does not interest me and that's why I did not use question # 1)
Mepis does not see my video chipset is VIA,
the talk in the forum and told me that I buy a video card from ATI or Nvidia :| at the moment and I can not, Knoppix I did not have problem with the video card but I step on the internet that his question # 3

Thanks for read my post :) and sorry for any inconvenience.

hal8000
07-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Knoppix is designed as a live CD and as such has a mix of stable, unstable and experimental sources, not recommended for hard drive install unless you are an accomplished linux user.

If you want a stable system then why not download Debian Etch and use debian proper?
To answer your questions:

1) If I understand your question, then yes, knoppix is debian compatible, you can use all apt-get commands including deporphan

2) No. Knoppix will not upgrade, and even if it did something would break. Better to backup your software and do a fresh install of a newer knoppix

3) If you install knoppix, then chose the debian option, the live install option behaves as the live cd which is why you have to configure
internet access each time