PDA

View Full Version : PXE Boot Knoppix Live CD problem

samboon
07-09-2008, 06:43 AM
Hi
Has anyone tried booting a live cd image via PXE. I encountered the same problem porting a live -cd to usb . i.e. the error message " Looking for cdrom ...hda1..hda2.. Cannot find Kanotix filesystem.."
Dropping you out a very limited shell and thats it.
To get it booting with pxe obtain a tftp server with builtin dhcp. Obtain the pxe linux package extract and put pxelinux.0 file in the root directory of the cdrom image. Create a .pxelinux directory at the root of the cdrom image (copy isolinux.cfg to ther pxelinux directory and rename it to default. ) The boot file pxelinux.0 resides in the root directory will use default to boot the linux distribution after it fails to find other filenames.
The /pxelinux.cfg/default will have the same format as isolinux.cfg
the kernel name to boot, the append parameters , the ramdisk filename miniroot.gz of which renamed isolinux.cfg substitutes fine. However pxelinux.0 looks for the kernel image in the same directory as itself so you'd have to copy the /isolinux directory contents into the root directory to boot . You can see it on your client ... all goes well ... until the boot-up decides to look for the compressed image of the entire linux distribution in the Client machine...
That cd is back on the server....

samboon
07-13-2008, 03:07 PM
hi thanks for the previous problems tip
"looking for cdrom on hda1, hda2, hda3 ......."
Cannot find Kanotix filesystem ... dropping you to a minimal shell

This has plagued me on booting with KNOPPIX PXE and a modified USB using isolinux

The file that searches for the Kanotix filesystem on cdrom /Knoppix dir
can be modified. In linux

# gunzip miniroot.gz (leaves you miniroot._less_ gz)
# mkdir tmp ( in current dir as miniroot)
# mount miniroot /tmp -oloop
# cd tmp
# vi linuxrc ( or use KWrite within Konqueror)

look for the part that searches the filesystem from the cdrom /Knoppix directory. Can anyone post a modified linuxrc that mounts KNOPPIX for
a hard disk partition . ie copy the /Knoppix/KNOPPIX (650Mb) to C:\Knoppix\KNOPPIX and have linuxrc read from C

Thx any help will be very much appreciated