PDA

View Full Version : Newbie can't burn CD help.

john-boi
06-02-2003, 10:56 AM
Hi I am a Knoppix/linux virgin of less then 24 hours and need some help.Please excuse my non technical language.I want to burn a CD in Knoppix I get as far as being able to compile a list of files for burning.My CDRW (lite-on 48x12x48) is recognised by the burning program but when I go to burn I get this message or something like it "No cdrdao driver found. Please select manually....current drivers include ...generic-mmc...IO error" I guess I need to go "somewhere" and specify the driver for my CDRW.I seem to remember it mentions something like go to device settings but I can't locate for CD.If you can help please give me "no brainer" instructions as I have a "windows" track mind and all this is new to me.
Thanks for your help

john-boi
06-02-2003, 04:47 PM
Some more info. What I am trying to do is burn a selection of .wav files from my windows HD using knoppix, in order to make a CD that will play on any CD player using KB3.Can this program do this? I have found out that I can burn .avi files and I presume all other data files . But I am unable to play an ordinary CD from this drive. (can play mp3's on a CD disc in this drive). Is it the nature of this system that it cannot burn .wav files or read them from an external source ie CD. I can play .wav files from the hard drive.
On using the KB3 set up I get this message
creating fstab entry for /dev/scd0
error could not make mount point /mnt/auto/cdrom

Is this relevant? for my other CD rom it was able to make a mount point!

Stephen
06-02-2003, 05:22 PM
Could you post the contents of fdisk -l and of your /etc/fstab and are you running from HD or CD? K3b can do what you want it to it just has to have the proper entries in the fstab.

john-boi
06-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Hi Stephen thank you for your time. I am running knoppix from the CD (in order to give linux a try)! I am sorry to be a dunce but can you give me some more pointers like where do I look for fdisk -1 and /etc/fstab.I am totally new to this , sorry to be a pain....but we were all new once right?

bilzer
06-03-2003, 07:39 PM
Perhaps this will help --
To display contents of /etc/fstab:
Go into console and enter cat /etc/fstab
To do the fdisk -l just enter that on the console.
If you are running from the knoppix cd, I found that fdisk -l would not open the files with fdisk since you are not in root. (I believe the -l is a lower-case letter l)