PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix + dosemu + norton ghost

udo
06-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Hi,

I'm currently working on a Knoppix boot-cd for our university pc-pool.
We want to have a knoppix version, which runs symantec/norton ghost somehow. I tried to get ghost working with dosemu, but the only version that worked was the very old 3.1, which also did not scan for harddisks but could only see the ramdisk.

Does anyone know, if it is possible to clone harddisks with ghost via a dosemulator (like dosemu)?

And can anyone give me a hint how to get ghost working with dosemu?

Thank you in advance,

udo

hendry
06-02-2003, 03:12 PM
Can't you use some GNU tool instead? like dd?

udo
06-02-2003, 03:18 PM
unfortunately not, because we use ghost not just for saving old disks data, but also for making, for example, new windows clones to use for reinstall.
(sorry for my bad english, hope you understand what i'm trying to say)

udo

hherb
06-02-2003, 03:36 PM
unfortunately not, because we use ghost not just for saving old disks data, but also for making, for example, new windows clones to use for reinstall.
(sorry for my bad english, hope you understand what i'm trying to say)

udo
ghost would never work through DOS emulation, since you will not get low level hardware access that way.
However, you can use GNU PartImage - which IMHO is better than ghost anyway. We mirror partitions and whole disk images for backup and deployment purposes in large quantities, and we are more than satisfied with Gnu PartImage. Have a look at http://partimage.org/ for details.

Now, just to make your day: boot up your recent Knoppix, open a root console, and type "partimage". Don't worry, be happy :-)

udo
06-02-2003, 09:15 PM
ok, thank you
i'll have a look at it
maybe we choose partimage for the future :D
that was exactly what i wanted to know

aay
06-02-2003, 10:05 PM
As I understand it, mondo (http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/index.html) will work similarly to partimage and is also on knoppix. I'm not sure what benefits/downsides it has in comparison to partimage.

kamikaze_fish
06-18-2003, 06:30 AM
possibly a dumb comment in a linux forum but couldn't you just make a dos bootable floppy to put ghost on? That's what we use at work and it works with the most current ghost. You can make an autoexec.bat file to automatically run ghost.

MEgaVolt
06-18-2003, 10:28 PM
There is an option to create Boot Disks in Norton Ghost an if youre using the commandline you can also create Bootable Image CD´s even when there isnt enogh space to put the Image on one CD (splitting to multiple CD).

I´m looking also for a Image Solution an i think Linux seems to be the solution :), but im new on Linux an my knowledge isnt quite enogh. I also tried diferent Image Programs like Drive Image from Power Quest (that doesnt support external USB/Firewire Drives like DVD-Burner) yet, Arconis True Image (based on Linux as i know, that supports external Drives) or Norton Ghost but if you want to create Images on different Systems you need a new Licence.