PDA

View Full Version : conversation with sudo FAILED

knowppics
07-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Hello. I installed Knoppix 5.3.1 on my PC. I wanted to go into MANAGE SOFTWARE PACKAGE,and i was asked for my password. I entered the password,and i received the message "CONVERSATION WITH SUDO FAILED. I triyed different programms from Knoppix,that required password,but everytime i got the same message. Can anyone tell me,please,what can i do? Is that a bug from the OS ? What am i doing wrong?? Please help me guys,i like this distro,i don't wanna give up,and i hope there is a solution to fix that.Thanks in advance,cheers.

GUI_Hopper
07-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Have you set a password for root & knoppix?
Under the KNOPPIX menu there is a function to set root password.
Using the "Root shell" do
passwd knoppix to set a password for knoppix.

John

knowppics
07-28-2008, 10:48 PM
I set my password when i installed the OS. If i wouldn't have a password,i couldn't log in,after reboot,because after the reboot,i have to put my password. I have to try as you said, thanks a lot.

fxdwg
08-08-2008, 12:30 AM
I did the passwd in the terminal and that went fine but when i try to use Knoppix-configer sound card I get the, conversation with sudo FAILED Also is there a way to log on as root?

GUI_Hopper
08-08-2008, 01:42 PM
In the KNOPPIX menu there is an entry to open a "root terminal".
Then use aptitude.

You need a persistent HOME for packages to stay around. :lol:

I had to use aptitude to install aptitude & synaptic before I could use MANAGE SOFTWARE PACKAGE in the KNOPPIX menu.

aptitude update
aptitude install aptitude
aptitude install synaptic
Now MANAGE SOFTWARE PACKAGE from the KNOPPIX menu should work.

John

fxdwg
08-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Did what you said
Still when i try to use Knoppix-configer sound card I get the, conversation with sudo FAILED Also is there a way to log on as root? Thanks for the suggestion, any other idea's

OErjan
08-08-2008, 06:26 PM
have you tried to open a root console from the knoppix menu?
if that does not work, (thinking), trytyping in a regular console

sudo su t
then hit enter did that work, did the symbl to the left of the cursor change from $ to #, good, the # means you are typing as root.
now you just type passwd root when you see the # to the left.
should cure this.

if nothing above did work, humm. ok now we get down to the console and the real power.
I KNOW this looks complicated (and is), i will try to be precise and take it step by step.
First boot using knoppix dvd/CD then you remount mount the / partition OF YOUR INSTALL (should be a icon on the desktop) read write.
the "/"partition is as high as you can go, it should have several folders among them

bin
boot
dev
etc
home
lib

when that is done (right click the icon and choose change read write mode)
let us say it is hda1 from now on (you just change that particular part to suit you)
you open a console and type.

mount|grep hda1

hit enter
you should get something like this

/dev/hda1 on /mnt/hda1 type ext3 (rw)

now we know that we have the content under /mnt/hda1

now you type

sudo su
hit enter
then type

chroot /mnt/hda1

hit enter
now you are inside your installed knoppix (hopefully).
now you should be able to set a password for root

passwd root

type in the new root password and hit enter (no ****** will apear, just keep typing, it is as it should be).
you will be asked to retype root password, do that and hit enter.

you have now changed the root password of the installed knoppix.
type
exit and hit enter then reboot the computer.

hope this helps. if not keep asking.

EDIT
you also asked for a way to log in as root, try typing knoppix 1 when it is booting, that should put you inside as root in admin mode.

Rocket
09-07-2008, 10:34 PM
The easy way to fix that, is to show hidden files & go to "/home/your_user_name/.kde/share/config", while in normal login mode.

Edit the "kdesurc " file & change it from "super-user-command=sudo" to "super-user-command=su", save the file change. You should be able to, manage as per normal now.

This is NOT a new fix, this was used on 5.11 as well.

I wanted to go into MANAGE SOFTWARE PACKAGE,and i was asked for my password. I entered the password,and i received the message "CONVERSATION WITH SUDO FAILED.