PDA

View Full Version : Booting Knoppix from a multiboot DVD using GRUB

goltz20707
08-07-2008, 10:04 PM
I use a number of different live CDs, and would like to combine them into a single multi-boot DVD. Most of the live CDs I use are Knoppix-based, so I decided to try to get Knoppix to boot first. I'm using GRUB because I know it better than ISOLINUX.

I can boot to GRUB, and selecting the Knoppix entry boots Knoppix, but when it gets to the point where it loads the file system from the file "KNOPPIX", it can't find it. The GRUB config lines are:

title KNOPPIX 5.1.1 test
root (cd)
kernel /knoppix-5.1.1/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=KNOPPIX
initrd /knoppix-5.1.1/minirt.gz
boot

As mentioned, it boots OK at first, so it's finding linux and minirt.gz, just not KNOPPIX.

Does anyone know where KNOPPIX needs to be so that the kernel can find it at boot time?

(I'm sure I'm leaving out some detail or other. Ask questions if needed.)

maybeway36
08-14-2008, 01:09 AM
Make sure the KNOPPIX folder is in the root of the DVD, not in /knoppix-5.1.1.
Also, if I were you, I would use Knoppix 5.3.1. The Japanese edition is here: ftp://ring.aist.go.jp/pub/linux/knoppix/iso/knoppix_v5.3.1CD_20080326-20080520-AC.iso
You can change it to "lang=us" in the menu.lst and it will boot in English.

goltz20707
08-14-2008, 02:59 AM
I've tried putting the KNOPPIX folder in the root. I've tried putting the KNOPPIX file system image in the root. I've tried putting the folder in /knoppix-5.1.1, and tried putting the file system image there. I even tried putting each in /boot and /boog/grub. The kernel has not been able to find it no matter where I've put it.

maybeway36
08-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Have you tried booting the image with qemu? It might be a BIOS problem.

Lucien
08-27-2008, 10:39 AM
You told GRUB that root is, your cd in grub terms ..... root (cd).

Shouldn't you tell linux that root=/dev/sxx whatever the dev name is for your cd in linux terms?

I would add root=/dev/xxx in the kernel parameters, replacing xxx with your cd identification.

Lucien.