PDA

View Full Version : Dial-up modem for Knoppix

mipr
08-08-2008, 01:08 AM
New to Knoppix. Knoppix boots fine but doesn't find my internal modem. I've tried different devices from drop down menu and have replaced the modem with an internal US Robotics but still doesn't work.

Will an external work or is there a "list" of modems that will work or is it trial and error?

Thanks...

OErjan
08-08-2008, 06:38 PM
all external SERIAL modems I have tried have worked flawlessly.
A few external USB modems may also work (I have encountered only one, it emulated a USB to serial dongle that has support in linux), also any internal HARDWARE modem will likely work.
some other modems may work with some effort.
hope this was positive.

mipr
08-29-2008, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the info. I now have a US Robotics external hardware modem. I can now dial into the internet but I'm having trouble connecting with the browser.

Harry Kuhman
08-29-2008, 04:27 AM
.... I can now dial into the internet but I'm having trouble connecting with the browser.
Try pinging a site by IP address (start a shell and type ping 89.145.97.110 ) and see if you get a response. If that works try ping knoppix.net and see if the site now responds. If both work you're on the Internet just fine and it should be a matter of getting the browser working. If either fails then you'll need to look at more basic connection information and not concern yourself with the browser yet.

mipr
09-01-2008, 01:46 AM
I reconfigured KPPP and I am now able to connect to the internet.

Thanks......