PDA

View Full Version : error on cd detection durring boot...

willmafingerdo
08-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Ill give you the whole story.. my HD crashed on my windows pc.. so i was looking on the net and they said to dl knoppix to try to recover my data.. so i dl knoppix and burned the iso to a cd, and we also had a copy my wife had gotten from one of her professors from school. i put either cd into my cd drive and and start up my puter.. it reads the cd and the boot command option comes up, then it goes to the next screen, detects any usb/firewire, then goes on to detect the cd, which has to work or i woudlnt be able to load the program.., then it says " can find knoppix file system, sorry. dropping you to a "very limited" shell. press reset to quit. then has goes to command line looking thing that says knoppix# with a blinking currsor but if you try to type anything it just says USB device 8 "vend\prod 0xa81\0x205" is not claimed by any active driver. and ever time you try to type anything it just adds a number to the usb device 8... 9...10...

I know the cds work, i successfully loaded them onto my laptop.. my computer that has the crashed hd deff. meets the min system req. let me know if there is any other info that could help, sorry this is my first time using linux...

Thanks,
will

OErjan
08-16-2008, 07:33 AM
unplug everything USB, one of your USB devices are not supoorted by knoppix (or is broken) my guess is a USB keyboard or mouse, poissibly a USB wireless device or disk
EDIT
did a search and according to that is looks like a keyboard.

endor=0a81 ProdID=0103 Rev= 1.10
S: Manufacturer=+
S: Product=USB Keyboard

/EDIT

I have had something not quite like this his happen to me once, that time it was a broken USB controller on the motherboard.