PDA

View Full Version : Running script on boot up

fenzda
08-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Is there a way to have a script automatically run when I boot up? I have checked around
and couldn't tell the best place to add it. Would I have it in init.d or when kde starts.
My bootup cheats are:knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hde9 myconfig=/media/sda4. So I am
really booting from the hard drive and using configs.tbz from the usb stick.

I currently have to mount sda4, make it writable, the run the scripts. In one of them
I have to unload the rt73 that Knoppix uses(from serialmonkey) for the wireless and
use the inf/sys/cat files for windows.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thx

turbine
08-18-2008, 01:13 PM
I put my scripts in

/home/knoppix/.kde/Autostart

I save my configuration and boot with cheatcode myconfig=scan.

P.S. I'm running the knoppix 4.02 dvd.

fenzda
08-19-2008, 01:15 PM
So in .kde/Autostart would I just add an executable script
with any name I'd like or would it have to be a .sh file?

This is all I need:
mount -rw /dev/sda4 /mnt/sda4
cd /mnt/sda4
runall

mount usb, make writeable, change directory, run script.

thanks!

turbine
08-19-2008, 01:34 PM
I placed the actual scripts in my /home/knoppix/Desktop folder. You can name the scripts anything you want, just make them executable.

In the .kde/Autostart I have links to those scripts. Konquerer seems to recognize Autostart and gives you a dialog to make the links. I think it supplies the suffixes ".desktop".

fenzda
08-20-2008, 05:49 AM
It worked! Awesome. Put it in .kde/Autostart and made it executable.

Thanks much.

Love these forums!

ecliu
12-03-2008, 07:41 PM
may I ask a question, can i also make a script that after the boot up process, i would like to auto explore the mounting point of a usb drive?

for example:
this code will open konqueror(/media/sda1) on the desktop...

CODE
#!/bin/sh
konqueror /media/sda1

if i place this on the /home/knoppix/Desktop or in .kde/autostart, will it show konqueror and exploring the sda1 after the boot up process...

thank you!:)

hal8000
12-04-2008, 10:23 PM
may I ask a question, can i also make a script that after the boot up process, i would like to auto explore the mounting point of a usb drive?

for example:
this code will open konqueror(/media/sda1) on the desktop...

CODE
#!/bin/sh
konqueror /media/sda1

if i place this on the /home/knoppix/Desktop or in .kde/autostart, will it show konqueror and exploring the sda1 after the boot up process...

thank you!:)

Check your bash scripts from a terminal first.
As long as the host system boots from cd and not from the usb drive, your script should work.
I have heard of some people whose knoppix disc did not boot when an external usb drive was
connected; however this may be a single isolated case.

ecliu
12-07-2008, 02:27 PM
I typed (konqueror /media/sda1) in the konsole, and it browsed the Path of media/sda1...

Is it possible for a 'script' that can automatically browse the contents using konqueror of a USB flash drive upon insertion.

thank you..