PDA

View Full Version : Dev Null Permission Problems

Ambrose
06-02-2003, 11:47 PM
I've had Knoppix 3.2 up for about a month now, and every week or so, when logging in, I get about 200 Permission Denied errors:
-bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
I fix this simply by adding some permissions to /dev/null, but this shouldn't happen.

This happen to anyone else?

For now I've just stuck chmod into the crontab, but like I said, this shouldn't happen.

- Ambrose

zzyzx
06-03-2003, 11:45 AM
It seems only for my modem when I crash the system and reboot without shutting down. To solve this problem I changed the owner of the modem to my username. I also have had that problem also sometimes after defrag/repair I get the commandline, and if I reboot I would get an error which I would need a disk to repair. To solve this I enter 'fsck' at the prompt to clean the partition after defrag, then reboot.

Thus, I now have no proglems. I have only one problem now i can't 'webfetch' with php/apache, pages on the internet. any ideas?

Dave_Bechtel
06-04-2003, 12:00 PM
--I had some weird stuff happen when using an ext3 filesystem mounted as ext2 (wasn't booting the machine with proper initrd.)

Suggestions:

o Download the latest ISO (2003-05-20 as of this writing) and re-install. (Don't forget to backup 1st!)

o Switch to reiserfs.

I've had Knoppix 3.2 up for about a month now, and every week or so, when logging in, I get about 200 Permission Denied errors:
-bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
I fix this simply by adding some permissions to /dev/null, but this shouldn't happen.

This happen to anyone else?

For now I've just stuck chmod into the crontab, but like I said, this shouldn't happen.

- Ambrose