PDA

View Full Version : bootfrom parameter doesn't seem to see my usb flash drive

don999
08-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Hi all,

I was fiddling around with running knoppix on an old laptop and trying to use the bootfrom parameter to get the image from a usb flash drive. It doesn't seem to mount the usb flash drive on /dev/sda1 automatically so that it's visible.

knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda1/knoppix51.iso just doesn't see the flash drive

later, after it boots from the cd, I can mount /dev/sda1 just fine and see all the files on the flash drive.

Do you have any suggestions?

don999
08-27-2008, 06:39 AM
Well turns out that my .iso image of knoppix was bad. I was using an incomplete bittorrent file that was the proper length but was corrupt since the torrent hadn't completed.

I booted with

"knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda1/knoppix51.iso" and it worked beautifully on my desktop, switching to the flash drive after booting with the cd.

Then I tried it on this laptop with a wonky cd drive that doesn't like cd-rs very well and it worked, but oddly it was still accessing the cd as well as the flash drive.

don999
08-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Later, I noticed that I could take the cd out which meant that the cd-rom was no longer locked and thus no longer needed. I wonder why I could hear it still spinning the cd after it started using the flash drive.

Oh well, it works.

I love that bootfrom parameter. It'd be cool is someone could setup a knoppix 5.3 "boot cd" where you could boot into knoppix, but use a bootfrom parameter to access a flash drive that has the full dvd image. That would be useful with computers that don't have a dvd drive.