PDA

View Full Version : Windows Samba sharing hard drive

andrewwan1980
08-23-2008, 08:39 PM
I would like to use Knoppix 5 to access my Windows XP hard drive, then share this hard drive so I can back it up across the network.

I tried using Knoppix's network wizzard and got samba server running. It then asks me whether it should share the hard drives. I say yes. I could access knoppix default home folder share remotely. But I could not see how to access my C:\. Does anyone know how to do this?

chip.ling
09-05-2008, 05:28 AM
I would like to use Knoppix 5 to access my Windows XP hard drive, then share this hard drive so I can back it up across the network.

I tried using Knoppix's network wizzard and got samba server running. It then asks me whether it should share the hard drives. I say yes. I could access knoppix default home folder share remotely. But I could not see how to access my C:\. Does anyone know how to do this?

It could be my problem, but after reading your post, don't really get what you are trying to do? Can you give us more information?

Like you try to access your Windows XP drive from another knoppix machine or you try to boot knoppix on the windows xp machine and then from there access the hard drive?

Rgds,
Chip

andrewwan1980
09-05-2008, 09:47 AM
It could be my problem, but after reading your post, don't really get what you are trying to do? Can you give us more information?

Like you try to access your Windows XP drive from another knoppix machine or you try to boot knoppix on the windows xp machine and then from there access the hard drive?

Rgds,
Chip
The PC booted up by Knoppix 5 DVD is the PC I want to samba share. And another PC on the LAN is Windows XP and wants to gain access to the 1st PC that was booted up by Knoppix.

I can access the whole HD from Knoppix, but only the home folder is on a samba share. During the Knoppix start samba server it prompt me whether to share entire C:\. I said yes. But it appears this did not work???

You try it.

chip.ling
09-05-2008, 10:38 PM
The PC booted up by Knoppix 5 DVD is the PC I want to samba share. And another PC on the LAN is Windows XP and wants to gain access to the 1st PC that was booted up by Knoppix.

I can access the whole HD from Knoppix, but only the home folder is on a samba share. During the Knoppix start samba server it prompt me whether to share entire C:\. I said yes. But it appears this did not work???

You try it.

Since you can access the samba share machine home directory already. Can you try the following and see if it works

On the samba machine, open a console under knoppix id (not the root terminal)

cd /home/knoppix
mkdir c
sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /home/knoppix/c

What we are doing here is to mount your c: drive on the newly created mount point /home/knoppix/c

And then access the c: drive from there.

Be noted that if your c: drive is not NTFS, then change the -t ntfs to whatever it is. Also your c: drive may not be /dev/hda1, nowaday, if you have a SATA drive, I believe it will be /dev/sda1.

See if you can access the c directory from the windows xp machine. If you can, backup the whole c directory and it is your c: drive on the other machine.

Rgds,
Chip

chip.ling
09-06-2008, 04:47 AM
Just post a Samba example on the FAQ page, check out Q9 on the following link

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ

Rgds,
Chip