PDA

View Full Version : konqueror and mozilla

ivansv
06-03-2003, 01:33 AM
i have installed knoppix to the hd, when i try to use konqueror or mozilla and i enter a web site nothing happens, the web page stays on the original or home web site. what's the problem? everything seems to be working all right and connecting to the web is working using kppp. thanks for any help.

rickenbacherus
06-03-2003, 02:04 AM
Can you ping by domain name? That is can you do this:

ping www.yahoo.com

Have you entered your domain name servers into /etc/resolv.conf?

ivansv
06-03-2003, 09:42 AM
i have checked the /etc/resolv.conf file and its ok, i haven't pinged the domain but i am sure it will work, the modem dials and connects and the web browsers connect with the home web site. its just that i can't connect with any other web sites after that?

zzyzx
06-03-2003, 10:20 AM
try 'ifconfig eth0 down' . I think what you need to do is when you install to hard drive, when it asks to use dhcp and then setup ip addresses, say 'cancel'. www.phpcad.com/knoppix-install.html

rickenbacherus
06-03-2003, 01:06 PM
i have checked the /etc/resolv.conf file and its ok, i haven't pinged the domain but i am sure it will work, the modem dials and connects and the web browsers connect with the home web site. its just that i can't connect with any other web sites after that?

Connecting with the home site proves nothing. You likely are only viewing a cached page. Try the ping- it's basic network troubleshooting 101. First ping by ip - if that works then by domain name.

ivansv
06-03-2003, 10:07 PM
Thanks for your interest, well you were right, i pinged the nameserver and the domain-nothing. then i used vim to set up the /etc.resolv.conf file entering the domain and nameservers, then as root i tried to retrieve the /etc/resolv.conf file and there are no entries in itt-weird. i went to the man page for the file and the info i entered with vim is displayed. what's going on here i don't know where to go from here. appreciate any input you may have on it. good thing i d/boot with win2000 or i couln't write this.

Stephen
06-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Thanks for your interest, well you were right, i pinged the nameserver and the domain-nothing. then i used vim to set up the /etc.resolv.conf file entering the domain and nameservers, then as root i tried to retrieve the /etc/resolv.conf file and there are no entries in itt-weird. i went to the man page for the file and the info i entered with vim is displayed. what's going on here i don't know where to go from here. appreciate any input you may have on it. good thing i d/boot with win2000 or i couln't write this.

Did you edit the file as root? If not then it was read only and the changes were not saved.

Example resolv.conf:

search wolf
nameserver 192.168.1.10
nameserver 192.168.1.34

You may not need the search with the domain it has worked fine without it for me.

ivansv
06-03-2003, 11:04 PM
this reply is for stephen, yes i edited as root(#) and the template i used is as you described, but i still can't get on the web. thanks