PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please break knoppix DVD 5.3.1 into parts

Chris2222
09-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Can someone please put knoppix 5.3.1 DVD into a few parts so I can download with windows XP?

Many people have had trouble downloading because the DVD's are too large. I don't think this is too much to ask for and it would be much appreciated by many.

Is it possible? Can someone do this?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Harry Kuhman
09-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Good news, it's already been done. It's called a torrent. The file has been broken down onto many parts, you can download with Windows (or Linux) [as long as you're not trying to download to a FAT partition that will not hold the final file]. You can download as many parts as you wish at any time and come back and get more when you are ready. As an added bonus, there is fantastic error checking so you will know that you are getting a good download (unlike the known issues with the error prone mirrors that gave corrupted downloads about 50% of the time) and you will get the download much faster (depending on your bandwidth). See the downloading FAQ for details.

Chris2222
09-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Okay, let me explain it a little differently.

I'm on dial up 20kbps. It would take way too long. Work has a T1 line connection and I can NOT use torrents. Work uses XP and not VISTA. So as you can see it makes more sense for me to download on the T1 line or not at all.

Debian has a wonderful website under it's CD repository that allows you to download CD disc 1, disc 2, disc 3, ...disc 21 as apposed to DVD disc 1,2 and 3. I can't download those DVD's because the file size is TOO large. So I'm "luckily" able to download the CD versions and I can experience the same level of enjoyment as someone who is able to obtain a DVD downloadable version.

KNOPPIX has a LIVE CD, wohoo, it's 5.1.1 and not 5.3.1 (sigh)at least not yet. Again maybe someone can spread the DVD 5.3.1 version onto CD parts and put it on a KNOPPIX mirror. Doesn't anyone have the ability to do this?

As a side note, this forum is getting a little thin. Where is everyone going? Ubuntu? Debian? OpenSUSE? Fedora? Gentoo? PCLinuxOS? Slackware? Linux from scratch is pretty cool.

Harry Kuhman
09-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Okay, let me explain it a little differently. ...I'm on dial up 20kbps. ... Work has a T1 line connection and I can NOT use torrents. ....
Yea, we've talked about that before. I made some suggestions.

Debian has a wonderful website under it's CD repository that allows you to download CD disc 1, disc 2, disc 3, ...disc 21 as apposed to DVD disc 1,2 and 3.
Actually, that's a pretty foolish thing to say in this context. It's a pretty bad idea for most people to download more than the first, or maybe the first and second, Debian CD. If you're installing a lot of Debian systems in the middle of nowhere it might be reasonable to have a set of the Debian CDs. But for most users they should install from the first CD (or even from the business card CD or the Net Install CD) and apt-get any additional applications that they want over the net. By the time you download and burn a set of Debian CDs they are pretty much out of date.

But I don't see that this really relates much to knoppix. Debian is a Linux distro that is intended to be installed to a hard disk and install the applications that you want. Knoppix is a live disc and is intended to include what it includes, installing more stuff usually breaks things.

KNOPPIX has a LIVE CD, wohoo, it's 5.1.1 and not 5.3.1 (sigh)at least not yet. Again maybe someone can spread the DVD 5.3.1 version onto CD parts and put it on a KNOPPIX mirror. Doesn't anyone have the ability to do this?
Actually, do you care about having a CD, or about what number is on it? Yea, there is no Knoppix 5.3.1 CD. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Klaus to release one (a sentiment that I expressed when the rumors started to spread that a CD would follow the DVD by just a few weeks this spring). But I didn't see a big difference between 5.1.1. and 5.3.1. I still carry around a 5.1.1. CD in my recovery kit. And actually 5.1.1. is much better organized than 5.3.1 (which seems to have just thrown most of the accplications into one catch-all folder rather than organize them properly. So is there any reason that you know of that having the latest version number is important to you?

As a side note, this forum is getting a little thin. Where is everyone going? Ubuntu? Debian? OpenSUSE? Fedora? Gentoo? PCLinuxOS? Slackware? Linux from scratch is pretty cool.
Yea, We get more spammers trying to create accounts here than new posts any more. I don't know where the users are going, but Klaus' delays between releases and, face it, absolutely no release schedule, as well as some things that have gotten worse rather than better in the 5.x versions could well be a factor. Still, it's a handy DVD for what it is. But if you don't want the DVD, then why not go for some of the other options available to you. You just mentioned some. If you want a Live CD then maybe Puppy Linux would be better for you. Of course, someone might build just what you think that you want, and might even post it in a way other than torrents that you can download, but I wouldn't wait around for that to happen.

eadz
09-04-2008, 04:55 AM
I think ubuntu has taken some of knoppix's users.

Imageshack.us has a TORRENT -> HTTP download service. Now it doesn't split the file into parts, but using WGET ( available on XP ) and HTTP's resume feature, I think you can download sections of the file individually.