PDA

View Full Version : add seti@home or distributed.net client

kbreen
01-05-2003, 08:51 PM
Would it be possible to add a distributed number crunching client or two to the Knoppix CD?

The client could have a pre-registered "knoppix" user/team as a default, but you could alter this if desired to your own login. Also, it could be switched on/off from the KNOPPIX->configure menu (or a via CheatCodes perhaps).

It could also be interested to have a look at the stats generated from this default "knoppix" user/team over time.

Any thoughts?

mutante
01-08-2003, 01:24 PM
good idea to support seti@home. btw: if you have a working hd install it`s just "apt-get install setiathome" , and there is a nice script called setistacker for downloading a couple work units at once,very useful if you are not online 24/7..

mutante of seti23.org

kbreen
01-08-2003, 06:48 PM
I just thought this could be useful for those geeks who like to build their seti farms...

It might also bring some people to Linux/Knoppix that would not normally use it.

E.g. a friend of mine likes to install a seti client on someones Windows machine whenever they go on holiday so he can run seti for 2 weeks. The is a hassle. If he could just pop in a CD, with a CheatCode of seti=his@email.login, this would make his job much easier.

It could also be useful if knoppix would run in RAM as per this thread:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=315

He could then build his farm with one knoppix CD.

Tigren
01-09-2003, 12:39 AM
as said in many other request posts, there is always the possibility of remastering. very nice to do.

kbreen
01-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I think I could master my own CD to do this. But I would also like to see it in the main Knoppix distribution (bugs/issues would be easier to find/fix, and more people could find it useful).

If I was able to implement it, how you you get a contribution into the main distribution?

Also, as a first step to implementing it, how do I get my knoppix seti client to read/find CheatCodes supplied at boot e.g. seti=my@email.login

eadz
01-09-2003, 11:19 AM
I just thought this could be useful for those geeks who like to build their seti farms...
<..snip..>
It could also be useful if knoppix would run in RAM as per this thread:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=315

He can do that already with knoppix terminal server.

kbreen
01-09-2003, 07:00 PM
He can do that already with knoppix terminal server.

Thanks for that. I hadn't thought of doing it that way.

But I think the small RAM version of Knoppix might be slightly better for building a very temporary seti farm (perhaps just running for the evening).

I would want the original owner of a seti farm PC just to be able to reboot their machine back into windows when they want it (when they turn up for work at 9am).

I understand that if Terminal Server (TS) is used, (assuming the TS is still running on the network), you would need to turn off the "boot from network card" in the BIOS before the owner could get back into windows with a reboot. (Not much hassle, but still a hassle).

Is what I've said correct? I've never used the Knoppix TS before (I dont have the machines right now to give it a try).

eadz
02-07-2003, 04:21 PM
I understand that if Terminal Server (TS) is used, (assuming the TS is still running on the network), you would need to turn off the "boot from network card" in the BIOS before the owner could get back into windows with a reboot. (Not much hassle, but still a hassle).

No, you could just remove the cd from the TS and reboot. Because there won't be a TS running, the bios would just time out and boot from the hd.

arkaine23
06-20-2003, 07:16 PM
I'm working on a remaster that includes scripts to download, configure, and run folding@home in a ramdisk. I could probably do seti as well.

I'd like to get a mostly precofigged samba on there too, since there are some apps that monitor folding progress across a network- Electron Microscope 3 for instance. That way a user could just pop in the CD. Set the hostname and NTdomain and the folding config script and they'd be done.

This would probably require a minimum of 192mb of ram, possibly 256mb.

There are already minimal distros based on mandrake that offer seti@home and folding@home for diskless machines. But I want to make one that has the goodies that come with knoppix so as to encourage people to not only run DC programs, but to try installing linux as well.

arkaine23
07-25-2003, 02:55 AM
This custom version of knoppix runs folding@home at startup in the background. There are scripts to view/start/stop/and configure it that make things very easy. There is also a script to run the windows version in wine. It has a ton of apps just like knoppix. And you don't need to have a hard drive. It has samba, ssh, and vnc for remote connectivity, to share files, to use electron micorscope to monitor folding.

It also has:
seti@home
prime-net
memtest
cpuburn
lucifer

So its great to burn-in a new box without having to install an OS. It can also be installed via the knxhddinstall script and so it is a quick and easy way to install debian.

In a future release I'm adding scripts to d/l and install F-prot into ramdisk or a persisntent /home. That will let you scan windows partitions for virii wihout having to boot into windows. I've almost got the feature to automatically to save WU's to a hdd or pen drive at intervals in case of power failure, but F@H locks the work folder...

Overclockix iso 686mb, no md5sum yet, sorry (http://folding.octeams.com/oclinux/Overclockix_ColdFusion.iso)

With this cd you could make layers of a folding/seti/prime cluster for around $150.