PDA

View Full Version : Samba Server

MAiN_PRoToCoL
09-04-2008, 05:48 AM
I'm a noob. Completly new to Knoppix

So I download the latest DVD, start-up with it from your everyday PC.

My problem is when I click the "start samba server" from the clicking the little penquin guy and then services, it ask me to create password for the user knoppix. So no big deal, i use 123 as a password and normally i would say share all with read and write. well the problem is that it is not taking that 123 password or a blank password or anything. that damn dialog box just keep looping betweeen setting the password and confirming it and it wont go away.

what the deal?

Thanks

chip.ling
09-05-2008, 04:22 AM
I'm a noob. Completly new to Knoppix

So I download the latest DVD, start-up with it from your everyday PC.

My problem is when I click the "start samba server" from the clicking the little penquin guy and then services, it ask me to create password for the user knoppix. So no big deal, i use 123 as a password and normally i would say share all with read and write. well the problem is that it is not taking that 123 password or a blank password or anything. that damn dialog box just keep looping betweeen setting the password and confirming it and it wont go away.

what the deal?

Thanks

I believe you are using the knoppix 5.3 version. I only have 5.1.1 and I try it with your case, I use 123 as password, knoppix accepted it and ask me once again to confirm. After I re-enter it, it asks me if I want all harddisks to be read and write. I click on the OK and the program ended gracefully.

I do not have 5.3 myself so I cannot test it. Well 4+ GB download is not fun for me and I am not going to do it until they have the CD version coming up.

So anyone out there tried the knoppix 5.3 Samba server?

Rgds,
Chip

MAiN_PRoToCoL
09-05-2008, 04:30 AM
Nice to know that 5.1.1 is ok. I'm using 5.3.1

chip.ling
09-05-2008, 04:54 AM
Nice to know that 5.1.1 is ok. I'm using 5.3.1

So any other reason you want to use version 5.3.1 instead of 5.1.1? I ask because I don't have 5.3.1.

Rgds,
Chip

chip.ling
09-06-2008, 05:18 AM
Just post a Samba example on the FAQ page, check out Q9 on the following link

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ

Can you follow it and try it on version 5.3 and let me know the result.

Rgds,
Chip

QuadriplegicMonkey
09-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Using 5.3.1 here and had the same issue. After entering a password and verifying it, it kept prompting to create a password. I just closed the prompt after a few times and then it asked about sharing the whole HD.

Logged in from a Windows box and it worked fine.

MAiN_PRoToCoL
09-22-2008, 04:21 PM
chip.ling: yup it worked just like the FAQ page said. it just sucks i gotta go through all that and it makes the GUI samba in 5.3.1 useless.

QuadriplegicMonkey: were both on the same page. so where can I bitch about this bug????????

QuadriplegicMonkey
09-22-2008, 04:30 PM
No idea... I'm just using Knoppix to pull some files off a machine I'm about to wipe. The issue wasn't a big deal for me, but if I were using it regularly it might be. Good luck.

chip.ling
09-24-2008, 06:42 AM
chip.ling: yup it worked just like the FAQ page said. it just sucks i gotta go through all that and it makes the GUI samba in 5.3.1 useless.

QuadriplegicMonkey: were both on the same page. so where can I bitch about this bug????????

Depends on what your knoppix setting is, you may want to write a bash script and store it in your storage area and automatically run it on bootup if possible.

I'm an old fashioned unix guy who always want to use command line to control the machine because I can always transform the command lines to a shell script and automate the process.

I just wrote Q10 on the FAQ with a bash script which can simply the samba setup steps, check it out here

Beaware that I just wrote it out of my head and have not test it yet. I need to test it at my office tomorrow with more than one machine.

Rgds,

chip.ling
09-24-2008, 11:41 PM
I just wrote Q10 on the FAQ with a bash script which can simply the samba setup steps, check it out here

Beaware that I just wrote it out of my head and have not test it yet. I need to test it at my office tomorrow with more than one machine.

Just tested my FAQ Q10 from my office and it seems working without any problem.

Rgds,
Chip

johnrw
10-03-2008, 10:22 PM

I would think http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/5.3.1DVD would be where this would go... but it seems to be locked.

It has been a while since I looked at the script but... in /usr/sbin/sambastart on line 58 is
while grep -q '^knoppix:1000:XXXXX' /etc/samba/smbpasswd

then a look inside /etc/samba/smbpasswd after a successfull password change...
it seems my password was saved in the second password field...
knoppix:1000:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:NEWPA SSWORDCODESTOREDHERE00:[...

and so the infinite loop... even though smbpasswd had made the change successfully.
But also there is this extra $FORCE variable that can be present in a cmdline parm.
Don't know what it's there for. Here is the section:

/usr/sbin/sambastart

52 FORCE=false
53 FORCEEXPORT=false
54 echo "$@" | grep force && FORCE=true
55 echo "$@" | grep export && FORCEEXPORT=true
57 #loop while password is not set
58 while grep -q '^knoppix:1000:XXXXX' /etc/samba/smbpasswd || $FORCE ; do
59 rm -f "$TMP"
60 $DIALOG --passwordbox "$MESSAGE1" 0 0 2>"$TMP" || break
61 PASSWORD1="$(<$TMP)"
62 rm -f "$TMP"
63 $DIALOG --passwordbox "$MESSAGE2" 0 0 2>"$TMP" || break
64 PASSWORD2="$(<$TMP)"
65 rm -f "$TMP"
66 if [ "$PASSWORD1" == "$PASSWORD2" ] ; then
67 #set samba password
68 echo -e "$PASSWORD1\n$PASSWORD1" | smbpasswd -a knoppix -s
69 else
70 $DIALOG --msgbox "$MESSAGE3" 0 0
71 fi
72 #force is only executed once
73 FORCE=false
74 done

It should probably just test the result of the command executed...
68 echo -e "$PASSWORD1\n$PASSWORD1" | smbpasswd -a knoppix -s
if [ $? == 0 ] ; then
break
fi

then a continous looping would indicate something is wrong...

So how come the wiki is locked?

Harry Kuhman
10-03-2008, 10:44 PM
.....So how come the wiki is locked?
Please take this up with Eadz. I've been swampped with fighting spammers in the forums. Some past changes in the wiki software made it difficult for someone with moderator privileges to effectively fight spam there, and Eadz just yesterday mentioned to me that he had been fighting a lot of wiki spammers himself. It might be something that he did in reaction to wiki spammers, but it seems self defeating to have a wiki if legitimate users can't contribute to it.

I do expect that he will want to know that there is an issue here, and as he may not catch the post in these forums I suggest sending him a private message.

johnrw
10-04-2008, 04:02 AM
I don't mind locked wikis. The enemies of Open Source and of the little people in general and their freedoms have deep pockets.
If the burden is getting too much for you, the dedicated staffers, then by all means... lock it down!

I would just put a post somewhere regarding..., "this is how to add to the wiki", even if it has to be by emailing an admin desired content.
Drastic... but I don't think there is so much activity on the wiki... that it would be that hard.
Probably less of an effort involved than fighting the spammers.

Is there a way to put a maximum amount of posts for newly approved members?
Well without knowing more about the tactical side of how they get in, what they do once in, I am just guessing.

Harry, you can edit forum posts, right?
How about we insert a Special Tag... on legitimate bug reports in the forums?
*** BUG KNOPPIX531DVD FIXSUGGESTED*** or something?

The benifits would be immense if a simple site search could yield a set of links straight to bug reporting content.
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.knoppix.net+BUG
is a little vague... but keywords could order that up a little.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site:www.knoppix.net+KNOPPIX531DVD
This link should show exactly one hit... in a while... :)

eadz
10-04-2008, 04:51 AM
I was trying to stop anonymous edits, but I accidentally blocked all edits. You should be able to edit now.