PDA

View Full Version : Getting Error Message while transtering files

Joneve
09-06-2008, 02:30 PM
My windows is corrupted. I am using Knoppix to copy my files and transfer them to a travel drive. At first this was working well. Now I am getting a the message, "You cannot drop any items in a directory in which you do not have write permission. I am doing attempting the task as the Administrator. What do I need to do to have write permission?

Harry Kuhman
09-06-2008, 04:19 PM
.... to a travel drive. At first this was working well. Now....
If at first it was working well then you likely already found how to set the permission properly. Exactly what to do depends on the version of Knoppix used, but in general you find the icon for the flashdrive partition on the desktop, right click on it, and then (the exact choice here depends on the Knoppix version) select the option to make it writable.

Some of these drives also have a hardware write protect switch, so if you have one be sure that it has not be slipped into the write protect position while handling the drive.

But if it worked at first and now no longer works, you may have made the common mistake of removing the flash drive before unmounting it or shutting Knoppix down. This mucks up the drive (I think you'll need to reformat it but I'm not exactly sure of what is required or if there is a simpler way to recover). While I have written to flash drives with Knoppix, in cases like this and when there are a lot of files to be backed up, I suggest instead installing a FTP server on another system on a local network, and then transfering all of the files that you want to recover by FTP, using Konquror under Knoppix as the FTP client on the maching with the corrupted Windows (yea, redundant term).