PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to share a internet connection with windowsXP

cli168
09-06-2008, 10:35 PM
I have windows XP connected the internet by wireless. Can I share its internet connection with a network cable?
If yes, how? Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
09-06-2008, 11:32 PM
I have windows XP connected the internet by wireless. Can I share its internet connection with a network cable?
If yes, how? Thanks.
I take it that you have XP on the wireless connection and want to keep it that way (which is a good think since Knoppix wireless support is pretty poor). It's not obvious why you don't just plug that ethernet cable into the router or access point, but lets assume there is some good reason that you didn't mention. Then your question is really not a Linux question, it's an XP question. Yea, you should be able to configure XP for connection sharing, although Microsoft's record of playing well with others in this area isn't great (I expect you'll see a pretty serious performance hit that really shouldn't be there and indeed might just be artificially and deliberately induced). As far a the Linux side is concerned, if the upstream box that you are connecting to does a DHCP handshake properly, there should be no need to do anything on the Linux side at all, it will just work.

cli168
09-07-2008, 07:48 PM
The reason is that I have the wireless connection working on XP, but not on Knoppix. The router is a distance away, so direct connection is not possible.
I connected the 2 machines with a network cable, and I can do traceroute from the Knoppix machine, but not on the browser. Any ideas? Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
09-07-2008, 08:53 PM
... I can do traceroute from the Knoppix machine, but not on the browser. Any ideas?
1) Post ifconfig data

2) Try a different browser.

3) Try Knoppix on a system that can be hardwire connected to the router and see if the browser works there. If would be foolish to treat this as a connection sharing issue if you can't browse even without the connection sharing issue.

We have seen some browser issues that turned out to be IPv6/IPv4 issues. If using Iceweasel, find the setting to disable IPv6. Also, try other things than browsing and tell us if you can use the shared connection other ways (FTP, email(POP3), and other non-HTML Internet applications).