PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix user browsing system problem

adyga
06-03-2003, 08:07 AM
Hi, I have just installed Knoppix on my HDD, everything went fine from configuring hardware to installing some updates as nvidia latest det. I read a lot of the forum's topics and did a search but in vain, my problem is that I am a Linux-n00b and after I logged to knoppix user to use wine (wine complains about su that cant generate cfg file for system wide ) I realized that I can't browse my hdd partions !! yes all partitions are mounted correctly (as root I can browse with no problem), plz help !! if there is a thread that I did not read plz refer me to it

Icekiss
06-03-2003, 01:55 PM
Take a look at /etc/fstab
In this file you should find lines for your partitions, that are commented out (they start with an #). Remove the trailing "#" (you need superuser priviliges to do so). After that you should be able to create the corresponding desktop icons and browse and edit the partitions as normal user.
If you change "noauto" to "auto" in your fstab, the partitions will automatically be mounted at startup.

One more thing: NEVER use the root account for your daily work!
It is for system maintenance only.

adyga
06-03-2003, 02:43 PM
well this is my /etc/fstab:

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda8 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda7 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# partitions found by Knoppix
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
#/dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8 ext2 noauto,users,exec 0 0

and I still cant browse hda1,hda5,hda6 even when they are mounted, I can browse them only as root !!
help ?

qa1433
06-03-2003, 05:02 PM
1) open a console
2) type “su” <cr> to get superuser, and enter the password <cr> when requested. Then type cd /mnt <cr>
3) type “mkdir win” to create the directory “win”.
Note: in your case you need directories for hda1-(win1), hda5-(win5) & hda6-(win6)
4) still as superuser, type “kate”
5) open /etc/fstab in kate
6 ) at the end of the file create a new line that looks like the following:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win vfat defaults,exec,umask=000 0 0
(Note that hda1 is assuming that Windows is located on the first partition of the first hard drive on the first ide controller on your system)
7) save the file and exit
9) make a right click on your desktop, and click on “create new”-->”hard disk ...”
10)move to “Device” and select “/dev/hda1 (/mnt/win)”. Make sure that the button “read only” is UNchecked. Click on the “o.k.” button.
(note: you can of course also rename the file to “windows”

You should now be able to mount your windows hard disk (also writable!) by double-clicking on the Icon you created in step 9 and 11) Hope this helps, but if you've got any problems or don't understand something, please feel free to post again!
Enjoy! :lol:

paul 8)

qa1433
06-03-2003, 05:07 PM
I forgot but you would create a new line that looks like the following:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win vfat defaults,exec,umask=000 0 0

Once the newline is completed, delete the old line entries

/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

Sorry for the confusion, :oops:
paul 8)

Stephen
06-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Once the newline is completed, delete the old line entries

Never delete the lines in a config file just put a # in front of them this comments them out and they will not be used and they remain for future reference. This applies to making changes as well simply duplicate the line and comment out the original this way you always have the original in case something goes wrong.

And always include a comment for yourself so you know why you changed the line for future reference.

adyga
06-03-2003, 06:29 PM
THANKS YOU guys for your valuabale help, now after applying the changes the problem disappeared, also this way of commenting lines for future analysis is very cool.
:D

qa1433
06-03-2003, 10:40 PM
adyga,
Stephen is right! See I am still a newbe to!

Sorry for the bad advice! :oops:

Thanks Stephen for the good advice. :P Linux, I learn something new everyday! :lol:

Paul 8)

stendal
02-11-2004, 01:15 PM
hi I am new 2 knoppix and I need some help! ı couldn't able to switch to superuser mode because all the passwords I tried incorrect what coud it be I couldn't understand what password is it asking please help!!!!