PDA

View Full Version : Random complete system freezes

fladd
10-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Well,
as with every Knoppix version and every computer I tried, I get random freezes of the whole system, when trying to run DSL (which is also based on Knoppix).
Does anyone know what this cold be? Sometimes it hangs on boot, sometimes when the desktop is there, sometimes when installing it to a USB stick.
As I said, I have seen this for other Knoppix versions on other PCs too (especially Lapptops), which was basically, why I started using Kanotix at some point.

Regards,
fladd

cvevans
10-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Well,
as with every Knoppix version and every computer I tried, I get random freezes of the whole system, when trying to run DSL (which is also based on Knoppix).
Does anyone know what this cold be? Sometimes it hangs on boot, sometimes when the desktop is there, sometimes when installing it to a USB stick.

If you boot from USB, the problem may be USB disconnects that randomly occur. Just a split second at most.
The USB device changes from sda1 to sdb1 and that locks up the system.
The only fix I know of is to put knoppix dir or image on the HD (see poor man's install). DSL may be different.
This seems very frequent (weekly?) on both 5.1.1 and 5.3.1, with Flash drives or external HD's.
I have tried 3 computers, 3 drives, all fail. A big rsync often triggers failure (or install to USB).
Check your USB stick for overheating. I have returned a few that get hot and quit.

If you are booting the CD or DVD, the burn needs to be nearly perfect and the drive and CD/DVD very clean.
Try another brand of blank or another burn speed. If possible, burn the CD in the drive you will use right after cleaning it.