PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet not working...

Pikelet
10-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi,

I am running 5.1.1 from LiveCD, and all is good. My machine is an old-ish IBM laptop, with an Intel combined ethernet and WLAN card. I am not epecting WLAN to work "out of the box", but am struggling even to get the ethernet connection to work. The card/cable/connection to the world is OK, as it works with WinXP.

On boot-up, I see something like:

Network device eth0 DHCP broadcasting for IP [backgrounded]
Network device eth1 DHCP broadcasting for IP [backgrounded]
Network device eth2 DHCP broadcasting for IP [backgrounded]

Not sure if this is normal, or what I should expect to see here.

Question: I assume one of eth0-2 is the ethernet connection, another is WLAN, but what is the third? Dial-up, maybe?

Anyway, with sudo netcardconfig, I tried to enable first eth0, then eth2 (the 2 that aren't WLAN, but which to choose, and why - so just guessing). No success.

I took the target IP address, subnet gate & gateway straight from the values shown by ipconfig \all in a DOS shell.

Question: netcardconfig asks for a broadcast address - what to use here? I used the value suggested by the tool, but truly no idea of the correct value.

>ipconfig \all gives me something like 00-0C-50-CF-0A-78

How do I map this to a broadcast address, or is it something different?

I thought (hah!) it was something like a bitwise OR on the target IP address, but I'm really not sure what to put here.

Bottom line: It doesn't work - no connection.

ifconfig -a shows:
. . .
Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0 (or eth2) - operation failed.

Any suggestions on what I could try here?

Thanks v much/Pikelet

Cuddles
10-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Pikelet, here is what I have in my netcardconfig settings - hope this helps...

Start netcardconfig from a root konsole:

Say NO to DCHP Broadcast
Enter IP addres for lan0/eth0:
your IP address (e.g. 192.168.2.22)
Network Mask for lan0/eth0: 255.255.255.0
Broadcast Address for lan0/eth0: same as "your IP address", except last dot number is 255 (e.g. 192.168.2.255)
Default Gateway: same as "your IP address", except last dot number is 1 (e.g. 192.168.2.1)
Nameserver: I used the same as I have in "Default Gateway" setting (e.g. 192.168.2.1)

these are my netcardconfig settings, and I go through a router, which has been set to use the 192.168.2.xxx range - I also have set up in the router configurations that any IP address between the ranges of say 15 and 30 to be internal LAN systems... i.e. 192.168.2.15 through 192.168.2.30 are "local"

The above IP numbers given are _not_ real, they are just used for example.

Hope this helps,
LC

Pikelet
10-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Cuddles,

Many thanks for the quick reply. The problem I had seen was while connected to a diferent network environment to where I usually am. At the weekend, I tried again on my home network, and everything worked fine - card configured and connected auto-magically - no netcardconfig needed.

Thanks again for your help.

Pikelet, here is what I have in my netcardconfig settings - hope this helps...

Start netcardconfig from a root konsole:

Say NO to DCHP Broadcast
Enter IP addres for lan0/eth0:
your IP address (e.g. 192.168.2.22)
Network Mask for lan0/eth0: 255.255.255.0
Broadcast Address for lan0/eth0: same as "your IP address", except last dot number is 255 (e.g. 192.168.2.255)
Default Gateway: same as "your IP address", except last dot number is 1 (e.g. 192.168.2.1)
Nameserver: I used the same as I have in "Default Gateway" setting (e.g. 192.168.2.1)

these are my netcardconfig settings, and I go through a router, which has been set to use the 192.168.2.xxx range - I also have set up in the router configurations that any IP address between the ranges of say 15 and 30 to be internal LAN systems... i.e. 192.168.2.15 through 192.168.2.30 are "local"

The above IP numbers given are _not_ real, they are just used for example.

Hope this helps,
LC

Clinton
10-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Piklet, I'm glad it got sorted :)