PDA

View Full Version : Not detecting usb memory stick

k666stw
10-23-2008, 01:56 AM
Firstly I'm sorry if any of this post appears stupid. I have tried search but probably my lack of using the correct terminalogoy has yielded no results.

I have just started using Knoppix 3.6. I have also been reading the excellent Knowing Knoppix. As my journey in linux began I was trying to setup a persistent home directory. However I should be able to plug my memory stick in and select it of the KDE desktop.

I've tried 4 different sticks so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Stewart

benopdezolder
10-23-2008, 06:14 PM
why 3.6 ??

with 5.3.1 you'll have he latest and a better chance of succes.

if I (5.3.1 PDI) plug in a stick (USB) the system detects it and asks me what to do (click Cancel).
by then there is a new icon on the desktop with the text Flash Disk (sdb)

right click on the icon, select mount and next open (or a left click) and the contents is there.

k666stw
10-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Thanks. as is I'm sure is obvious my lack of knowledge with the entire Linux world is massive. The Knoppix cd I have was given to me. I have a limited monthly bandwidth aswell meaning downloading the most upto date version is not feasible.

My digital camera is detected easily. Gave me false hope the stick might work this time.

benopdezolder
10-24-2008, 12:25 AM
I have a limited monthly bandwidth aswell meaning downloading the most upto date version is not feasible.

My digital camera is detected easily. Gave me false hope the stick might work this time.

5.3.1 is (for the moment) only available as DVD, but 5.1.1, which should do well too, is available in CD-form.
maybe someone else can download and burn a disk for you??

regarding the camera, I'm faced with the opposite problem under linux: USB-stick OK, USB-camera problem reading (M$ W xp excactly the opposite).

computers!!!!!