PDA

View Full Version : Failed "knoppix lang=us" on boot for live cd

linus
10-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi, I'm new to linux. I downloaded a knoppix 5.1 live cd in german. I tried to change the language to english at the boot menu using the command, "knoppix lang=us," however, the desktop doesn't load correctly as it does when knoppix is in german. Does anyone know why this is, and can I remedy this problem by installing knoppix permanently instead of running it from a live cd? Thanks for any help.

Harry Kuhman
10-23-2008, 06:24 PM
I know of no reason that the desktop does not load correctly with the English cheat code, assuming that you managed to get the = typed (it's on a different key on a German keyboard). You will not fix anything by "installing" Knoppix to hard disk, likely a lot of stuff will break. But if you manage to get it working you'll learn a heck of a lot in the process. Personally I advise against it. If the desktop isn't working with english selected, I would suspect a bad download or high speed burn, but that's just a guess. The proper version to download for English default has an EN in the name, not a DE.

linus
10-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the help. Yes, I was aware that "=" is shift+0. Strangely enough, I got different results depending on which language I selected. For example when the cheat was "knoppix lang=es," for spanish, the desktop failed to load all the way, and instead kept reloading. I finally managed to get it to work (sort of) by using "en" in place of "us" to designate the english interface, however, this too created problems. I appreciate the help, but I've decided to retire that knoppix 5.1.0 live cd and get one prescribed by this web site via torrent.