PDA

View Full Version : Network connection does not restart if disconnected

jsalles
11-10-2008, 03:44 AM
Hi All,

I have noticed on 4.02. and 5.1.1 with two different computers that the network connection does not restart if the computer is disconnected. I have several computers connected to a switch in my office, which is connected to a router downstairs. If I turn the power off to the switch at night, the next day Knoppix does not reconnect. I can get it to reconnect by clicking on Network Card Configuration under the Knoppix-Network/Internet on the K menu once the switch is back on. The other strange thing that happens is if ifconfig is run, the eth0 is gone from the list.

With other distros, the network comes back on automatically. I would prefer this to be the case, because I like to power the switch down to save power and protect the Knoppix system from intrusion. I also want to run this as a 'headless' or monitor-less system, and just ssh into it, but if the network stops working, I will not be able to ssh to it. Except for the network connection not restarting, Knoppix seems to be the best distro for what I am using it for.

Thanks
Jonathan